The Student Room Group

Told my sister she ruined my life

I know that was too harsh but hear me out. I’m 19 and she’s 17. When I was 12/13 I got by front tooth broken by her and ever since then I had to visit the dentist more than 15 times (for sure). As a very self conscious girl (with anxiety) I can say most of my thoughts are about my tooth and what’ll happen next (will it ruin my future relationships, will I ever be happy again etc..). I still get fillings but I have to change it everytime/ fix it because of how ugly/ fat it looks like. It’s kinda deep in my opinion.

Also, I’m looking into getting veneers/crowns but I’m not sure if dad will let me get one. Can life get any better?!😓
Reply 1
Get a job and buy them yourself. Whether she hurt you intentionally or not you need to speak to her because even if she doesnt look like it, your words could have hurt her too and make her feel bad. It wont ruin your future relationships and if they dont like you because of it then they arent right for you at all
Original post by Anonymous
I know that was too harsh but hear me out. I’m 19 and she’s 17. When I was 12/13 I got by front tooth broken by her and ever since then I had to visit the dentist more than 15 times (for sure). As a very self conscious girl (with anxiety) I can say most of my thoughts are about my tooth and what’ll happen next (will it ruin my future relationships, will I ever be happy again etc..). I still get fillings but I have to change it everytime/ fix it because of how ugly/ fat it looks like. It’s kinda deep in my opinion.

Also, I’m looking into getting veneers/crowns but I’m not sure if dad will let me get one. Can life get any better?!😓

Why don't you look into going to a dental school. Guys in London has one and I am sure there are others elsewhere. Put it into perspective. You have a broken tooth, not a terminal illness. Bearing this grudge against your sister is unhealthy.

Yes your tooth does need to be fixed. Aim to do that, put this all behind you and move on.

For the record I broke my nose. It was hideous and really bent to one side. I got it fixed eventually and I felt so much better. Although bizarrely nobody else noticed.
Reply 3
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Why don't you look into going to a dental school. Guys in London has one and I am sure there are others elsewhere. Put it into perspective. You have a broken tooth, not a terminal illness. Bearing this grudge against your sister is unhealthy.

Yes your tooth does need to be fixed. Aim to do that, put this all behind you and move on.

For the record I broke my nose. It was hideous and really bent to one side. I got it fixed eventually and I felt so much better. Although bizarrely nobody else noticed.

Hey,

I’m studying psychology in university and I’m not really interested in dentistry lol (I wish I was). I know it’s stupid of me to hold grudges but everytime I think about it it makes me mad lool. Does your nose loook hugely different then it looked before it was normal and broken? Loads of people never noticed too but I do and I feel like they will someday. Thanks for your kind reply, you really made me understand!
gets tooth broke

---> says life is ruined

come on.
Hey,

I’m studying psychology in university and I’m not really interested in dentistry lol (I wish I was). I know it’s stupid of me to hold grudges but everytime I think about it it makes me mad lool. Does your nose loook hugely different then it looked before it was normal and broken? Loads of people never noticed too but I do and I feel like they will someday. Thanks for your kind reply, you really made me understand!

I meant dental school to get your tooth fixed. They do cosmetic work for free!

No nobody noticed when I had my nose fixed, but I did. It took out a horrible bump and the fact it was turned to one side.
Reply 6
Sorry tbh but you are being way to harsh on her. If my brother or sister did something like that to me, yes it would be frustrating but they have done so many other nice things that can't be overshadowed. If that is genuinely the only reason then you need to get a grip.
Reply 7
Original post by jc933
Sorry tbh but you are being way to harsh on her. If my brother or sister did something like that to me, yes it would be frustrating but they have done so many other nice things that can't be overshadowed. If that is genuinely the only reason then you need to get a grip.

Highly agree with this statement. I regretted it straight away. Thanks for your reply
Reply 8
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I meant dental school to get your tooth fixed. They do cosmetic work for free!

No nobody noticed when I had my nose fixed, but I did. It took out a horrible bump and the fact it was turned to one side.

No wayy really? Do you know any?
Reply 9
Highly agree with this statement. I regretted it straight away. Thanks for your reply

I am glad you can mend your relationship now.

She was nine years old. It wasn’t her fault, nor was it even something she did on purpose. I’ve got anxiety too, and even when I fixed the things That I thought ‘caused’ my anxiety, it didn’t make me any less of an anxious and insecure person, because I always found something new to fixate on. Ur problem isn’t ur appearance, it’s ur anxiety. Go see a doctor
No wayy really? Do you know any?

I know Guys in London has one. You get worked on by dental students but they are supervised

Quick Reply

Latest