The Student Room Group

How do I dress at uni?

I'm a girl just finishing school and starting uni this September, was just wondering how people dress at uni, is it casual as in jeans and shirts or extra formal as in dresses?
Which university are you going to firstly? Luckily most unis have a causal dress code so you’ll be fine in pretty much everything! In other words, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Hazzabear
Which university are you going to firstly? Luckily most unis have a causal dress code so you’ll be fine in pretty much everything! In other words, wear whatever makes you feel comfortable :smile:

hertfordshire,
that's good to know thanks! :smile:
whatever makes u feel comfortable
Original post by Swetha333
hertfordshire,
that's good to know thanks! :smile:

Casual clothes will be okay most people I know used to turn up to lectures in onesies.

Clothes matter less, personal hygiene is more important.
Wear whatever you want, don’t think any unis have a dress code
@gjd800 how fancy did you dress when you did your UG?
I don`t think dressing is very important to girls. You can dress whatever you want.
By the way, what will you major in?
Reply 8
Original post by 江山此刻波澜壮阔
I don`t think dressing is very important to girls. You can dress whatever you want.
By the way, what will you major in?

Psychology
I lived in leggings and hoodies tbh never made any sort of effort
Reply 10
Original post by Notoriety
@gjd800 how fancy did you dress when you did your UG?

corpse paint, pig's blood, and the skulls of my enemeies
Original post by gjd800
corpse paint, pig's blood, and the skulls of my enemeies

Hahahah. It did make me laugh how little effort you made even with your viva.

But tbh I had a lecturer who wore a hoodie and jeans to everything he did, so I guess it's possible.
Reply 12
Original post by Notoriety
Hahahah. It did make me laugh how little effort you made even with your viva.

But tbh I had a lecturer who wore a hoodie and jeans to everything he did, so I guess it's possible.

Yeah, I don't really care and so far nobody else has cared on my behalf.

I didn't realise the viva was such a big deal until I saw photos of the other recent defenders in suits. Not for me, that, and nobody there expected it
Reply 13
Original post by Precious Illusions
I lived in leggings and hoodies tbh never made any sort of effort

Lool I hope I can get away with leggings and hoodies too dressing up has never been my thing 🙈😅
Reply 14
Lool I hope I can get away with leggings and hoodies too dressing up has never been my thing 🙈😅

nobody will care as long as you don't stink, seriously.

Honestly you'll be fine, obviously some people will dress up but majority of people dress very casually. I don't think I ever even wore makeup for a lecture. Nobody cares!
A girl came in wearing her pyjamas often. The University of Edinburgh btw.
Everything from total slob that just rolled out of bed to dolled up enough to go out to a nice restaurant after class - and that's just me specifically. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest