The Student Room Group

do you have to take off jackets and hats etc in uni classes?

title
Original post by Anonymous
do you have to take off jackets and hats etc in uni classes?

No.
Take off jackets and hats? What else do you need to take off? Utterly outrageous...
Not usually although in some circumstances you may need to (for example, labs in science/engineering degrees may require you to wear specific PPE for safety reasons which is impractical or impossible to wear with one or both items). For just like lectures or seminars, no. Although you probably might want to, as often lecture theatres and seminar rooms can get quite warm!
Reply 4
No you don't have to do this....
Original post by Anonymous #1
title

Hi there

I don't think there is a rule relating to this at University. So it depends on whether your classrooms have heating or not. If it is cold, I think the lecturers would not mind if you had jackets or hats on.

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
no - if you need to cover yourself for cultural / religious reasons then you would be fine. For some sciences etc I imagine you might need to switch jacket for labcoat etc.
title

Hiya!

In general I believe most universities would not feel strongly on this as generally it is a quite relaxed environment at university and being in lectures compared to how you would of been treated in secondary school. Due to some universities being quite old buildings / being very big the rooms can feel cold on occasion and I will often sit with a jacket or a coat on especially during the colder seasons. A hat would be okay there are people in my lectures that wear hats but I feel like there is an unspoken rule in society that you don't wear hat indoors so it possible someone may ask if you would be comfortable taking it off but I think this would be quite extreme and unlikely as we don't know the circumstances of why you are wearing this and it could be personal. If you study a subject that requires you to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) then you may have some restrictions on what is deemed appropriate or not as well as practicality but again if this makes you uncomfortable for what ever reason you can discuss this and inform your lecturer.

Hope this helps,
Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
(edited 3 months ago)
title

Hi there,

I dont think you usually do unless you are in a lab practical or clinical skills for more clinical based courses.

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
title

Hey there!

Not particularly no. You have a lot more independence at uni and there's nothing you really can't wear etc. It's polite to take hats and jackets off when you're inside and staying somewhere but do you have to? No. Things are a lot more flexible when you get to university level, I've seen people come into lectures in tuxedos before haha.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
title

Hi there,

Generally, university is quite a mature space where this is left up to you as an adult, unless for safety reasons. You should be able to do what is comfortable for you.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep
title

Hi there,

I think it depends on the class, for me for clinical classes and things we have to take them off but I think in a lecture it's fine.

I hope this helps

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
title

Hi there!

Normally you don't have to! Just dress in whatever you are comfortable in! Some courses may have specific requirements for dress codes in labs or if you're patient facing but uni is usually quite relaxed otherwise!

I hope this helps,
Rebecca, UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending