The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2022 Entry

Hi all,

I'm a new poster on the student room and I am also well in advance - so please be kind!

I know I'm pretty early but I thought I'd make a thread for GEM 2022 applicants. Due to the timing of this thread being pretty early on I'm not expecting a huge amount of traffic for a few years, but it's time will hopefully come!

If you're interested in applying for the 2022 entry please feel free to introduce yourself with any information you deem relevant (degree, work experience, grades etc etc).

I'll start by introducing myself. My name is Thomas, I'm 19. I've just finished my 1st year of my "BSc Hons Human Biology". I've finished it with an average of a low 1st class (although it doesn't get recorded). I've got a few jobs at the moment. I work as a key support worker for hospital outpatients through university term time. During term time I also lifeguard and teach swimming to younger kids and teens. I have hands on care experience in many NHS establishments alongside other things I'll keep to myself for now.

At the moment I plan on applying to St Andrews, Nottingham, Liverpool and other GAMSAT universities.

Feel free to message me and reply to the thread if you're in a similar situation to me and we all can make friends and share info!

I've got a few questions myself so if anyone feels fairly qualified to answer please do!

-Can you take the GAMSAT twice and chose your best grade? If so is it time/finance worthy?
-Any general GAMSAT tips - I've just started to look into it and it is very overwhelming with a lack of resource?!
-Any idea what the 'questionnaire' involves that some unis hand out?

Thanks guys! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

We haven't even done 2021 yet...
Reply 2
there's actually a thread for the 2021 application! as I said I'm fairly early so not expecting much. nevertheless thanks for the reply!
- You can take the GAMSAT up to two times in one year and yes your best grade is used. It's worth it because it opens up more medical schools and is also a back up if the UCAT/BMAT goes tits up.
- There are loads of resources. The tricky thing is finding the more useful and relevant resources. There are quite a few TSR threads and guides which basically all say the same thing. I suggest following the 2019/2020 GAMSAT threads.
- It's usually work experience related.
Hi!

I'm super early too so I'm so glad someone has started a thread haha. I'm 19 and am currently in my first year of BSc Paramedic Science, which at the end of the three years will make me a qualified paramedic. I love the clinical side of things and want to be able to do more clinically than a paramedic can, hence applying to medicine.

As part of my course I will accumulate a couple thousand hours of clinical experience both on the ambulance and in a hospital setting. I also do shifts in my local hospital's A&E department where I work with excellent doctors and surgeons who understand my position as a prospective medical student and consequently get me heavily involved with the patients!

Like you, I was also a swimming teacher for a couple of years prior to going to university. I intend to sit both the GAMSAT and the UCAT; sitting the GAMSAT in September of this year, and the UCAT in May of 2021. The universities I intend to apply to are Newcastle, Warwick, Nottingham, St Georges, and Swansea. My favourites are by far Nottingham and St George's as of currently.

I'm predicted to receive a 1st class honours in my degree which is great. Also am taking all this time off for corona to revise revise revise for the GAMSAT! I massively recommend all the youtubers who discuss graduate entry medicine as they have great tips for the entrance exams and for the interviews if you want to get some practice in early!
Reply 5
Original post by Katie_annaa
Hi!

I'm super early too so I'm so glad someone has started a thread haha. I'm 19 and am currently in my first year of BSc Paramedic Science, which at the end of the three years will make me a qualified paramedic. I love the clinical side of things and want to be able to do more clinically than a paramedic can, hence applying to medicine.

As part of my course I will accumulate a couple thousand hours of clinical experience both on the ambulance and in a hospital setting. I also do shifts in my local hospital's A&E department where I work with excellent doctors and surgeons who understand my position as a prospective medical student and consequently get me heavily involved with the patients!

Like you, I was also a swimming teacher for a couple of years prior to going to university. I intend to sit both the GAMSAT and the UCAT; sitting the GAMSAT in September of this year, and the UCAT in May of 2021. The universities I intend to apply to are Newcastle, Warwick, Nottingham, St Georges, and Swansea. My favourites are by far Nottingham and St George's as of currently.

I'm predicted to receive a 1st class honours in my degree which is great. Also am taking all this time off for corona to revise revise revise for the GAMSAT! I massively recommend all the youtubers who discuss graduate entry medicine as they have great tips for the entrance exams and for the interviews if you want to get some practice in early!

Hi there,

Fantastic! It's great to hear from a like minded individual - especially since we are in a very similar situation. Is your degree 3 years? I am doing a 4 year degree just going into 3rd year (no exams; thanks coronavirus!). You're totally taking the cake for contact hours - jeez! By the time I apply I will have 3 years work in a care home.

I'm also planning on sitting the GAMSAT in September - have you booked yet? As it stands now I'm taking good advantage of this lock down to study, I am shocked at the workload but I think I have enough time to master it haha. I've taken your advice and looked into the YouTube side of things which has proven great as an intro.

If you fancy a GAMSAT study partner or something feel free. Might be helpful to compare studies along the way - I know for section 2 I need some form of criticism!

Thanks for the reply!
Reply 6
Hey guys! I'm pretty early too, I'm a second year studying Pharmacy. I feel like I'm way behind on you guys with experience which I need to get more of.
Reply 7
I have no experience either..I graduate next year and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to apply while still attending university. It might be for the best to take the gap year to gain experience and also save up the money for the graduate courses anyway, especially since I come from a languages background
Reply 8
Original post by bee264
Hey guys! I'm pretty early too, I'm a second year studying Pharmacy. I feel like I'm way behind on you guys with experience which I need to get more of.

Hey! If you are only 2nd year (assuming you're in a 4 year degree?) you have plenty of time! Even if you only have one more year you can gain a lot of insight into whether or not medicine is for you. You should maybe try and at least gain some clinical experience in a hospital or care home as a starting point :smile: Best of luck and keep us in the loop!
Reply 9
Hi,

I’m also planning to apply for GEM for 2022 entry:smile:. I’ve just finished my first year of biomed, sadly no experience yet lol I had an internship planned this summer but that was ruined by corona so lol...

I intend to sit BMAT and UCAT, not fully sure where I’m going to apply yet but here’s what I’m currently thinking: Oxford (lol probably change my mind eventually though), Imperial (maybe), Kings, Warwick and maybe Birmingham.

I’m working towards a low first/high 2:1 but not sure as our exams have been cancelled and they’re using our coursework

Good to see a thread so early:smile:!
Reply 10
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Sorry to hear about your summer internship - that's a shame, but I'm sure you'll score another one. Nice application choices and good aim!

Is your degree 3/4 years?
Reply 11
Original post by tjm0
Hey, thanks for the reply!

Sorry to hear about your summer internship - that's a shame, but I'm sure you'll score another one. Nice application choices and good aim!

Is your degree 3/4 years?

3 :smile:
Hi, is anybody here applying for the GEM Programme at Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial (if they reopen their applications), Kings, QMU or St.Edwards ?
Hi, I am also applying for GEM 2022, I am currently studying medicine in Vienna and I will finish with a bachelor of science. I could continue and do my masters and get a MD , but I want to go to the UK as I want a bigger challenge.
So far I have only A*'s and I am top of my class.
I am thinking about applying to Cambridge or Oxford (I don't know if you can apply to both or you have to choose..), QMU, Kings, Imperial and perhaps Edwards. Is there anybody applying to these unis as well? or anybody that already got into GEM and would be willing to talk to me?
Thanks in advance!!
Hoping someone will be able to help me! I am 22 y/o, currently in my second year, studying Biomedical Science with a predicted 2:1. I am looking to applying for the GEM degree, however, I was hoping to take a year off beforehand so that I could work and save money. I am concerned whether this will put me at a disadvantage for the GEM degree, which is already very competitive. Does anyone have any experience in a similar situation? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you :smile:
Original post by missanon11
Hoping someone will be able to help me! I am 22 y/o, currently in my second year, studying Biomedical Science with a predicted 2:1. I am looking to applying for the GEM degree, however, I was hoping to take a year off beforehand so that I could work and save money. I am concerned whether this will put me at a disadvantage for the GEM degree, which is already very competitive. Does anyone have any experience in a similar situation? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated! Thank you :smile:

No disadvantage. People progressing directly to GEM from their first degree were comparatively few in my cohort.
Original post by Democracy
No disadvantage. People progressing directly to GEM from their first degree were comparatively few in my cohort.

Thank you! On that note, are you still studying and do you have any advice regarding applications? If you wouldn't mind.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by missanon11
Thank you! On that note, are you still studying and do you have any advice regarding applications? If you wouldn't mind.

There's lots of info and advice in this thread (which is also a good place to ask questions like yours): https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5332212
Reply 18
Original post by Elizabeth2703
Hi, is anybody here applying for the GEM Programme at Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial (if they reopen their applications), Kings, QMU or St.Edwards ?

Yess I am! I think I definitely want to apply to QMU and Imperial depending on their course and maybe Oxbridge depending on how I am when I apply
Hi, I’m also going to apply to gem for 2022 entry!

I’m an undergrad studying for a biochemistry BSc degree. I got A*A*A in Biology, Chemistry and History A Level. I hope to get a 2:1 in my biochem degree. I’m also getting prepared early and have already started making drafts/ ideas for a personal statement lol.

Experience: I’ve done the usual medical shadowing in a hospital, and have also done some dentistry work experience. I volunteer on a ward in a hospital. I’ve also been an inpatient in a psych hospital and I swear that counts as experience lol. I’m currently trying to get a paid job in a care home.

So far, I’m interested in applying to Birmingham for gem. I’m also considering applying for the 5yr med course, anyone else? Would that put me at a disadvantage?

I’ve seen posts saying that people are preparing and booking places for GAMSAT this year? Does it need to be done this early for 2021 applicants? Can a score received this year be used for 2022 entry? (If it can, I might try and get mine done early!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending