The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

hi guys! are there any graduate courses that I would be best to avoid after receiving band 2 on the SJT of the ucat? I'm aware that soton don't care, but anyone know about Newcastle?
I had ruled out Birmingham GEM as I only had a 2:1 Biomed Degree (from Birmingham), and I spoke to my careers advisor from when I did my first UG degree who basically said don’t apply if you don’t have a first. But I would score 16/20 for everything else, only dropping the 4 points for my degree result. So I just wanted to check if anyone else knew what the scoring cut off was last year as I vaguely remember someone saying around 15?

2:1 degree = 4
UCAT: 3060 band 1 (790 in VR) so top decile I presume = 4
A levels: AAB (bio chem french) contextual = 4
Full time work for 3+ years = 4
11A* in GCSE in all core subjects

Applying to Southampton GEM, Warwick GEM, Manchester UG and desperately trying to decide on a fourth which I am more likely to get an interview
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey guys, just posting here for some advice as I just scored 2870 B1 on my ucat and was wondering if this is competitive enough for graduate courses?
Hi Guys, My statistics so far:u:ndergraduate degree Biomedical science: 1st ClassUCAT: 2880 B2Masters in Reproductive Biology at Imperial College London: PendingI am hoping to apply to Barts and Kings Graduate entry Medicine, would this be enough?
Original post by Jaydlily
Hi Guys, My statistics so far:u:ndergraduate degree Biomedical science: 1st ClassUCAT: 2880 B2Masters in Reproductive Biology at Imperial College London: PendingI am hoping to apply to Barts and Kings Graduate entry Medicine, would this be enough?

I'm not sure about Barts, but unlikely for Kings. Applicants for Kings last year were rejected with UCAT > 3000.
Original post by medicphd
I'm not sure about Barts, but unlikely for Kings. Applicants for Kings last year were rejected with UCAT > 3000.

I agree, do think my score is competitive for their undergraduate course
Just finished UCAT, thought I completely messed up QR and AR. But overall got 2730 B2, this is on the lower end but would it be worth still applying to Warwick, Southampton, and Sheffield with a 2:1 prediction ?

Subsections:
VR: 610
DM: 710
QR: 690
AR: 720

I’m uncertain of the VR and sjt for Warwick. I think the vr brought my score down quite a bit.
Hello all, just looking for a few words of wisdom! Does anyone know if a degree in Therapeutic Radiography is accepted as a life science? I can see on the barts degree checker it accepts it without looking for a levels results while with diagnostic radiography you need to provide a-levels. . .

Also,I'm a bit unsure of what/ if any universities I can apply to, also i just completed my UCAT today and got 2790 and SJ1 and i've a 1.1 degree in Therapeutic radiography and 4 years experience working in the same area. I did not do A levels/GCSE's as I did my school finishing exams in Ireland so not sure they count but do have a b in chem/bio, an A in maths and a few other but not sure they are relevant. Would it be resonable to apply to barts, sheffield and Birmingham?? Any other suggestions welcome!
thanks in advance :smile: x
Original post by ReadandBench
Just finished UCAT, thought I completely messed up QR and AR. But overall got 2730 B2, this is on the lower end but would it be worth still applying to Warwick, Southampton, and Sheffield with a 2:1 prediction ?

Subsections:
VR: 610
DM: 710
QR: 690
AR: 720

I’m uncertain of the VR and sjt for Warwick. I think the vr brought my score down quite a bit.

For graduate entry, unfortunately too low for Southampton (cutoff was over 2900). You are right on Warwick’s cutoff for this year which was 2720/30 so risky if it goes up (which it may do). Your VR will probably be above the national average but keep checking for final results/deciles etc after 29 Sept. Sorry, I don’t know anything about Sheffield.
Original post by candidate415
The cut off's on the website are for 2020 entry, they haven't released 2021 entry statistics yet. I believe the cut off for 2021 entry GEM was 2870. I don't know if it'll be higher, all depends on the cohort applying for this year.

Do Bart’s consider SJT does anyone know?
Original post by Sasha199910
Do Bart’s consider SJT does anyone know?

They use it at interview, band 1 gets 2 points and band 2 gets 1 point, bands 3 and 4 don't get any points
Hi, I'm applying for GEM and these are my stats:
Uni prediction: 1st class in biomedical sciences
UCAT: 2450 and B2 SJT:s-smilie:
A-levels: ABB
GCSEs: 4A*, 4A, 4B
Work experience: 5 months healthcare assistant at a hospital, 1 year volunteering at my local hospice, lots of volunteering at university
I'm thinking of applying to:
King's - for the 4yr and 5 yr courses because of their holistic approach
Birmingham - I might be at a disadvantage because they prefer achieved grades and I don't have much experience:frown:
Sheffield - I meet the UCAT cut off and WP

I feel like all my choices are very risky because of my low UCAT:frown:. Please any advices on where to apply would be well appreciated!
Hi Guys, My statistics so far:

Undergraduate degree Biomedical science: 1st Class
UCAT: 2880 B2
Masters in Reproductive Biology at Imperial College London: Pending
I am hoping to apply to Barts and Kings Graduate entry Medicine and undergraduate medicine, would this be enough?

Any assistance is welcome!
Does anyone have a link to those great spreadsheets? I just want to look at Cambridge applicants.
I agree, do think my score is competitive for their undergraduate course

Kings A100 will apparently score grads on GCSEs and UCAT, the same as school leavers, so depends on your GCSEs.
Original post by seph_muriel
Hi, I'm applying for GEM and these are my stats:
Uni prediction: 1st class in biomedical sciences
UCAT: 2450 and B2 SJT:s-smilie:
A-levels: ABB
GCSEs: 4A*, 4A, 4B
Work experience: 5 months healthcare assistant at a hospital, 1 year volunteering at my local hospice, lots of volunteering at university
I'm thinking of applying to:
King's - for the 4yr and 5 yr courses because of their holistic approach
Birmingham - I might be at a disadvantage because they prefer achieved grades and I don't have much experience:frown:
Sheffield - I meet the UCAT cut off and WP

I feel like all my choices are very risky because of my low UCAT:frown:. Please any advices on where to apply would be well appreciated!

Kings A100 are apparently scoring grads the same as school leavers, using GCSEs and UCAT, and your socres would not make the cut, usually, I'm afraid
Kings GEM needed a UCAT >3000 last year
What is your Birmingham score? Needed around 16 last year, I believe (I make yours 2 for degree, either 2 or 4 for A levels, depending on whether contextual, 1.778 for UCAT and by the looks of it 0 for Emplyment, so a total of 5.778 to 7.778)
Sheffield have a low UCAT threshold, but cut off for interview for GEM was 2700 last year.

I am afraid your UCAT score is likely to be too low for GEM, but there may be options if you can afford to pay tuition fees without a loan
Hi Guys, My statistics so far:

Undergraduate degree Biomedical science: 1st Class
UCAT: 2880 B2
Masters in Reproductive Biology at Imperial College London: Pending
I am hoping to apply to Barts and Kings Graduate entry Medicine and undergraduate medicine, would this be enough?

Any assistance is welcome!

Last year Kings GEM needed about 3040 for an interview.
Barts was about 2870 with a 1st
Original post by TheGraduateMedic
Hi!

I have two talks coming up - one is on how to strategically apply to GEM schools, the other on how to prepare for interviews with all my tips and tricks. both free. pm me if you wanna attend :smile: (its not in person, its online!)

Hey,
I sent you 2 DMs and 3 emails regarding the GEM talks you held + mock interview packages but you never got back to me. Did you end up running the talks on the 11th and 25th? Thanks! :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Kings A100 are apparently scoring grads the same as school leavers, using GCSEs and UCAT, and your socres would not make the cut, usually, I'm afraid
What is your Birmingham score? Needed around 16 last year, I believe (I make yours 2 for degree, either 2 or 4 for A levels, depending on whether contextual, 1.778 for UCAT and by the looks of it 0 for Emplyment, so a total of 5.778 to 7.778)
Sheffield have a low UCAT threshold, but cut off for interview for GEM was 2700 last year.

I am afraid your UCAT score is likely to be too low for GEM, but there may be options if you can afford to pay tuition fees without a loan

You really are a font of all knowledge!!

Thanks btw, your posts/you have been a massive help for my application, really appreciate your time and effort!!
Original post by GANFYD

Thank you so much for the comment. Which unis do you reckon I could apply to for the 5 year course with those stats?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending