The Student Room Group

should i do gcse swimming

I have been doing swimming for 3 years. I am going to pick my options at Christmas time ish but my school only does it for fitness and any work I can do has to be done outside of school. My swimming is good ig but after reading some of the borderlines like having to do fully competitive racing but I only have my sister who is a year younger then me and my cousins who also swim-one is two years older then me and one is one year older a girl and a boy respectively.
GCSE swimming??? Didn't even know that existed otherwise I would have gone for it. If you love swimming then 100% pick the subject as one of your choice but if you aren't that much of a fan with fitness overall then you might have to reconsider.
Original post by ayyyy.x
GCSE swimming??? Didn't even know that existed otherwise I would have gone for it. If you love swimming then 100% pick the subject as one of your choice but if you aren't that much of a fan with fitness overall then you might have to reconsider.

I am quite slim with zero fitness problems but I really do like swimming. But I have to do it indepentedly and zero of my local centres offer help. I am currently taking lessons, I am a stage 6, there are 10 stages overrall
Original post by savemeplease
I am quite slim with zero fitness problems but I really do like swimming. But I have to do it indepentedly and zero of my local centres offer help. I am currently taking lessons, I am a stage 6, there are 10 stages overrall

How many swimming lessons do the school offer?
Original post by ayyyy.x
How many swimming lessons do the school offer?

they don't. they only do core gcses in Y11. I do everything outside of school and I have a teacher.
That actually exists (•□• )
they don't. they only do core gcses in Y11. I do everything outside of school and I have a teacher.

Then do you really need to take the subject if you are doing everything outside of school?
Original post by ayyyy.x
Then do you really need to take the subject if you are doing everything outside of school?

It's just that I find it easy and it kind of saves me the work. Some people do horse riding and rock climbing. Yes those are offered. and i want too but I don't know what to do.
It's just that I find it easy and it kind of saves me the work. Some people do horse riding and rock climbing. Yes those are offered. and i want too but I don't know what to do.

You should go for it. If you don't like what the course has to offer then you can always change it.
Original post by ayyyy.x
You should go for it. If you don't like what the course has to offer then you can always change it.

thank you so much! I haven't been able to make up my mind for a while :smile:!
thank you so much! I haven't been able to make up my mind for a while :smile:!

No worries x
You have plenty of time left to decide but if you are not happy with the course then let the teacher know as early as possible so you can change the subject.
Good luck!
Whatever it is it is not a GCSE.
Reply 12
There is no actual GCSE Swimming in England. The only thing I can find is the swimming component of the Physical Education GCSE. I’m unsure if that’s what you mean, rather than a “GCSE in swimming”

Quick Reply

Latest