The Student Room Group

too fat for swim team

i love swimming and i want to join the team at my uni but i’m a couple kgs overweight and it shows. i’m scared of not being as good as everyone else and being thefat girl
Original post by 14t
i love swimming and i want to join the team at my uni but i’m a couple kgs overweight and it shows. i’m scared of not being as good as everyone else and being thefat girl

I totally understand ur situation and ur thinking . But think about it this way , if everyone had this mindset the world wouln't be evolving . Everyone has a starting point , it differs from one person to another but we all have to start from somewhere. Since u r in uni , i think most people are mature and u wouldn't face much problems . However if u think it might affect ur swimming performance then try improving ur health ( of course if this is something u would like to improve and change , u are perfect just the way u r ) exercising more often , picking healthier food choices . Don't ever starve urself !!
This is a problem where u should be thinking about urself not what others think ( i'm aware it can be very hard sometimes )
Are you a strong swimmer?
Does your weight or health issue limit the type of sports and exercise activities that you are capable of safely attempting?
Have you had any negative interactions with members of the swim team?
Any snide comments about your weight or body shape from anyone at your uni?

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:
If you feel that you are too heavy or unhealthy to be able to swim at the same level as members of the team, it's probably best to make an appointment with your GP.
Have a few health checks run and get some advice from an experienced medical professional who knows your medical history.
If there is a history of negative interactions with more than one member of the swim team, best to avoid participating.
Life is too short to waste your valuable time and energy on those who don't add much/anything that is positive to your life.
Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by 14t

A couple of kgs is nothing; I think you've built it up to be more of a problem than it actually is, but it's now a mind thing, not a body thing. No-one is going to notice, especially when you're in the water. If it helps your confidence, have a towel handy and just drape it round you when you're on the side, if that's allowed.

Just go for it; it's about strength and technique, not looks.
Reply 4
Having the passion to get better and learn more is all that matters to most coaches and teams. Skill level comes naturally as long as you have the desire and dedication to get there ( and the first step is joining! ).
It sounds like getting more involved with swimming would do a lot to combat a weight issue?

Quick Reply

Latest