The Student Room Group

Should PE be compulsory?

Should PE be compulsory?
Reply 1
to study, no. to take part in, yes.
Reply 2
mm maybe but allow students to choose what they want to do
Reply 3
I think yes, P.E. should be compulsory, unless you are injured or have a medical condition or disability that means you can't participate.
And I say this as someone who hated P.E. classes in school.
I think we do have to change the way P.E. is done though, by giving students more activities to choose from. For example, I hated ball games during my P.E. lessons so I was allowed to run around the field instead.
And I also think that some students and teachers can be very rude when you can't do something, for example when you don't catch a ball. It's disappointing that a lot of teachers thought I didn't try in P.E. when reality I did try, I just have very poor coordination.
Reply 4
personally i think it should be compulsory in primary but maybe not in secondary cuz of periods etc. like in secondary if you really dont want to do it you shouldn't have to
Reply 5
my school used to have compulsory graded pe which for me, a chubby unfit secondary school kid at the time, was awful. I'd get all good grades except for pe were I'd get D's and U's and I wasn't motivated because it felt like there was no way I could improve unless I suddenly became physically fit like everyone else. Once they stopped grading pe I actually liked participating more because it felt more like a session for having fun with my friends than a lesson and I ended up getting into the netball team later on. compulsory pe is great because it helps keep kids fit and teach then healthy habits. (I would probably be diabetic like the rest of my family by now if I didn't have to do pe) but it's also important to make pe something fun not another lesson with people less physically able having more potential to fail.
Reply 6
Original post by Spelunker
my school used to have compulsory graded pe which for me, a chubby unfit secondary school kid at the time, was awful. I'd get all good grades except for pe were I'd get D's and U's and I wasn't motivated because it felt like there was no way I could improve unless I suddenly became physically fit like everyone else. Once they stopped grading pe I actually liked participating more because it felt more like a session for having fun with my friends than a lesson and I ended up getting into the netball team later on. compulsory pe is great because it helps keep kids fit and teach then healthy habits. (I would probably be diabetic like the rest of my family by now if I didn't have to do pe) but it's also important to make pe something fun not another lesson with people less physically able having more potential to fail.

I agree that P.E. should be compulsory but it definitely should NOT be graded
I'm pretty sure it is still compulsory up until the age of 16 in the national curriculum?
In primary school, sure. But it should not be compulsory past year 9. Otherwise, it would be hypocritical- I can drop Latin, Geography, and Art, all fine, worthy subjects, but I have to devote 5 periods/2.5 hours of valuable educational time to sports? If you like it, great, take it for GCSE and A-level, but don't make me do it any longer than I have to.
It's important that children get exercise, and for some people their main or only opportunity is in school, so I don't disagree with compulsory PE. However I would have been much happier with it if throughout school (not just in sixth form) we had been allowed to choose which sports/exercise we did (especially where swimming was concerned!!), and if the teachers hadn't acted like you were useless if you weren't team standard lol. So as long as it's treated as a completely casual thing that doesn't go any way towards your grades or whatever... then yes to compulsory PE
As a GCSE? No unless it’s a sports school.
As a subject? Yes but give students more flexibility when it comes to what sports they want to do.

From year 7 to 8 or 9 have a set curriculum and make pupils do a wide range of sports whether they like it or not (so that pupils have the chance and experience to play a variety of sports). From Year 9 or 10 to year 11, let pupils choose what sports they want to do as a class. The class wants to do rugby? Do rugby. The class wants to do dodgeball? Do dodgeball and so on so forth rather than sticking to a set curriculum and making the students do sports that they didn’t enjoy.
Original post by Ellisssss
Should PE be compulsory?

Not as an actual GCSE, but as a weekly activity, yes.
I think that PE should be less competitive though, as this can make some people dislike it. Instead, it should focus more on teamwork and having fun
Should PE be compulsory?

Yes, it's good for your health mate.
Should PE be compulsory?

No but for secondary schools and primary schools I think it's compulsory
Reply 14
Original post by jbrandagamba
It's important that children get exercise, and for some people their main or only opportunity is in school, so I don't disagree with compulsory PE. However I would have been much happier with it if throughout school (not just in sixth form) we had been allowed to choose which sports/exercise we did (especially where swimming was concerned!!), and if the teachers hadn't acted like you were useless if you weren't team standard lol. So as long as it's treated as a completely casual thing that doesn't go any way towards your grades or whatever... then yes to compulsory PE

I agree! Unfortunately in my school they used to grade us for PE and everyone was so competitive - but I do agree it's important to get exercise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending