The Student Room Group

Tips for going back into swimming after 5 years

Hey 👋

So I haven’t been swimming in over 5 years. Well not really, I went last year and it was pretty well, and I tried doing lanes today but it was a flop im pretty sure my inability to swim concerned the lifeguard. I didn’t expect it to be this bad as I workout almost everyday, a mix of strength training and cardio and when I went last year I was fairly good at swimming lengths. But 5 years ago I’d go about once or twice a week.

So does anyone have any tips for going back into swimming? I know im definitely not going to be swimming lanes anytime soon as I felt very overwhelmed and essentially forgot how to swim. Also shall I have a break after this rather embarrassing moment or go back into it in a couple days 😅

Any tips would be greatly appreciated :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by a.plane
Hey 👋

So I haven’t been swimming in over 5 years. Well not really, I went last year and it was pretty well, and I tried doing lanes today but it was a flop im pretty sure my inability to swim concerned the lifeguard. I didn’t expect it to be this bad as I workout almost everyday, a mix of strength training and cardio and when I went last year I was fairly good at swimming lengths. But 5 years ago I’d go about once or twice a week.

So does anyone have any tips for going back into swimming? I know im definitely not going to be swimming lanes anytime soon as I felt very overwhelmed and essentially forgot how to swim. Also shall I have a break after this rather embarrassing moment or go back into it in a couple days 😅

Try and find a quiet time when there are few people there. It's always easier to practice when there aren't people watching. Another good idea when starting out is to mix up your strokes whenever you feel the need.
Don't sink
Is there not a slow lane you can go in to slowly build up your stamina again? I'm a swimmer and even when I haven't been for, say, 2 weeks, I can feel it when I get back into the pool although it certainly isn't as extreme as forgetting how to swim. I thought that swim technique is similar to riding a bike in that you don't really forget how to do it if you reached an advanced enough level, it's just usually stamina that suffers a little by not going regularly. If you've genuinely forgotten how to do the strokes and such then it may be worth taking a few lessons to get that up to speed and then going back into the slow lane until your stamina's high enough to transfer to the medium and fast lanes.
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Is there not a slow lane you can go in to slowly build up your stamina again? I'm a swimmer and even when I haven't been for, say, 2 weeks, I can feel it when I get back into the pool although it certainly isn't as extreme as forgetting how to swim. I thought that swim technique is similar to riding a bike in that you don't really forget how to do it if you reached an advanced enough level, it's just usually stamina that suffers a little by not going regularly. If you've genuinely forgotten how to do the strokes and such then it may be worth taking a few lessons to get that up to speed and then going back into the slow lane until your stamina's high enough to transfer to the medium and fast lanes.

Thank you I’ll give it another shot and work on my stamina. Probably not on lanes, we have a “just swim” option at my pool where I’ll be able to practice with having the pressure of there being a formal queue of swimmers behind.

I found that I didn’t really forget how to swim. Definitely had no stamina. I just never learned how to keep myself afloat at the deep end as when I used to regularly go swimming id always been able to touch my feet on the floor. Where as this swimming pool’s deep end was 6ft (I’m 5ft7). So I think the panic kicked in when I got tired and realised I wasn’t very good at keeping myself afloat.
Reply 5
Original post by Guru Jason
Don't sink

That’s the plan :smile:
Original post by a.plane
Thank you I’ll give it another shot and work on my stamina. Probably not on lanes, we have a “just swim” option at my pool where I’ll be able to practice with having the pressure of there being a formal queue of swimmers behind.

I found that I didn’t really forget how to swim. Definitely had no stamina. I just never learned how to keep myself afloat at the deep end as when I used to regularly go swimming id always been able to touch my feet on the floor. Where as this swimming pool’s deep end was 6ft (I’m 5ft7). So I think the panic kicked in when I got tired and realised I wasn’t very good at keeping myself afloat.

Learning to stay afloat is pretty important actually, especially if you one day find yourself in a body of water like a lake, river or sea that is obviously much deeper and less controlled than a swimming pool. The classic treading water technique is doing breaststroke legs and paddle-like hands almost tracing an infinity sign in the water, I'm sure there are plenty of youtube videos on it. And yeah, the only cure for stamina issues is returning to a regular swim regime and building up from there. Good luck!
Reply 7
Why not see if they have a short course of swimming lessons, to build up your confidence again and improve your technique?

Or try Aquarobics for a while; great for stamina as you're working against the pressure of the water.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8
You never forget how to swim (unless you have a PTSD from swimming).
However, your body use different sets of muscles for swimming and it is different to train them in gym.
Start swimming slow and for a short distance. Even if it seems too easy, just make your muscles get used to swimming again.
Original post by a.plane
Hey 👋

I stopped for 2-3 years during the Covid-19 pandemic (I’m CEV so I was being super careful) it took a few sessions but after about 3 sessions (1 week) I got back to it you will too it shouldn’t take a super long time I mean yeah you’ll be knackered afterwards for a bit but once your body get used to it the muscle memory should kick in and it’ll get easier. maybe mix it up a bit do some brest stroke if you feel tired.

Quick Reply

Latest