The Student Room Group

Should I do the golden D of E?

I am 16, starting college in a few days. I have not done the bronze and silver award.
After getting my GCSE results, because of my grades, in my college interview my teacher enrolled me onto a uni aspire programme, where I am able to do an EPQ and get help to make a more competitive application for universities.

However, as the only things I have done outside of school is some volunteering work at my local library, she said I should do something else to help me stand out. She told me about the gold d of e, and that it would look really good on my application for uni and jobs.

I’d like to do it, but I want to know if it is really worth it, or if it will be too much stress while also doing A-Levels.

In college I will be taking English lit, Classics, Philosophy and an EPQ. I do baking and cooking every week which I am happy to do for my skill, I go swimming every Sunday and I will be joining a badminton club when I start college which I am happy to do for my physical. My godmother owns a charity shop a 5 minute walk away from my college, so I could do volunteering work there.

Is it really worth me doing the gold award, will it make me a more successful applicant or will it be too much stress?
Reply 1
Original post by MagicKats
I am 16, starting college in a few days. I have not done the bronze and silver award.
After getting my GCSE results, because of my grades, in my college interview my teacher enrolled me onto a uni aspire programme, where I am able to do an EPQ and get help to make a more competitive application for universities.

However, as the only things I have done outside of school is some volunteering work at my local library, she said I should do something else to help me stand out. She told me about the gold d of e, and that it would look really good on my application for uni and jobs.

I’d like to do it, but I want to know if it is really worth it, or if it will be too much stress while also doing A-Levels.

In college I will be taking English lit, Classics, Philosophy and an EPQ. I do baking and cooking every week which I am happy to do for my skill, I go swimming every Sunday and I will be joining a badminton club when I start college which I am happy to do for my physical. My godmother owns a charity shop a 5 minute walk away from my college, so I could do volunteering work there.

Is it really worth me doing the gold award, will it make me a more successful applicant or will it be too much stress?

Is it really worth? Depends - it will a great life experience, which you will probably look back on in fondness, but it is not going to help you get into a top uni, if that was you thinking, as they are only interested in your suitability/interest/motivation/wider-knowledge in the particular subject you are applying for.
Reply 2
Only do it if you want to do it and you think you'll get some personal satisfaction from it. It won't make you stand out as an applicant, though, so don't do it just because you think it'll help you get into a good uni.
Reply 3
Original post by lalexm
Is it really worth? Depends - it will a great life experience, which you will probably look back on in fondness, but it is not going to help you get into a top uni, if that was you thinking, as they are only interested in your suitability/interest/motivation/wider-knowledge in the particular subject you are applying for.

Thank you! I’ll reconsider doing it, I’d like to study English literature at possibly a top university once I finish college (depending on my A Level grades). Do you know any other supper curricular things I could do to help me be a more competitive candidate?
Reply 4
Thank you! I’ll reconsider doing it, I’d like to study English literature at possibly a top university once I finish college (depending on my A Level grades). Do you know any other supper curricular things I could do to help me be a more competitive candidate?

Lots of wider reading, MOOCs, podcasts, essay competitions etc.
Reply 5

Don't bother with DofE it really won't help. You are better off finding things that complement your studies e.g. essay competitions, running a book club at school. etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending