The Student Room Group

NPLQ tips?

Hi, im planning to train over the next couple of months before taking my NPLQ on the next run of courses. Im 24, pretty average fitness level, nothing special but i do smoke cigarettes, which im planning to stop. Ive always been a water baby. Going years without seeing a pool and then being able to confidently get in and competently swim multiple laps without any major fatigue, im confident in diving deep, both into the pool and from the surface of the water etc. All round im pretty capable in the water, in my opinion. Ive worked in various places and never really found enjoyment in my work, but I feel like doing something I KNOW im naturally competent at is probably my best bet at a rewarding and enjoyable career - Ive also had first aid training through various things ive done (Cadets, Care sector work, volunteering) so im confident that ill pass those aspects of the course. My question really is: do you think hitting the pool a couple of times a week, practicing my strokes, timed lengths and maybe going to the gym a few times a week to use the tredmill/bikes would be enough to hopefully pass? Im probably HUGELY overthinking it, as i do with most things, but the timed swims are defintiely what i worry about most as ive smoked for the past 6 years and my cardio has taken a massive hit. I've read mixed reviews from people about how hard it is, so really I'm just looking for tips and opinions that could help me prepare.
Reply 1
I did mine a couple years ago but I still remember that the timed swims weren't as serious as you'd think.
I did swim regularly for an hour per week (but not intensively), but I think having to tow a person while swimming would be the most different thing from just doing lengths normally, I'd say if you can do 50m within a minute without too much strain then you'll be fine. A leisurely swimmer should be able to pass the NPLQ fine.
You'll get to practise multiple times throughout the week course and the teacher can always let you try again on the assessment.
Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest