The Student Room Group

anxiety for college / general anxiousness

even as a small child I've been extremely nervous in situations. ive been biting my nails since mid-primary school, and when talking I tend to stutter (unless I'm talking to someone im comfortable around)
around year 7-8 I began to rip out my hair from stress (accidentally at first, I used to run my hands through my hair a lot) nowadays I tend to tug on my hair when nervous, I try not to do it hard although my hair still comes out /: im not balding, but there have been periods when I have been extremely worried and my scalp bleeds,(from the pulling) which sucks.

now im starting college, (it begins on the 9th, im in sixth form, therefore im joining a sixth form college) which is quite far from my house. the stress of taking trains alone, (im the worst with directions) making new friends, and even navigating through the college is really getting to me. its gotten to the point where I have a constant eye twitch, which only happens when I get super nervous.

what can I do to prevent/reduce this anxiety? are there any over-the-counter medicines or whatever? I haven't been to the doctor about it, and im honestly to afraid to go.

sorry for any typos or any incorrect grammar.
Ahh I see. I’m in a similar situation to you too but now I’m second year of college. I think it’s best to talk to someone like your friends or maybe parents (if they’re understanding). It is difficult to take away the anxiety, I’ve had it for quite a long time tooo. I get it all the time when going somewhere new etc. Maybe go see a doctor and see what they say. If it will make you feel any better, feel free to message me.
I’m having anxiety about the same situation. In Year 11 it got quite bad and I sometimes couldn’t face going in. It’s holding me back. I’m meant to be starting on the 10th.

Quick Reply

Latest