The Student Room Group

Attendance, anxiety and depression

I'm in my third year of architecture and really struggling with anxiety and depression. I've started therapy, but it's too soon to see any effects. Meanwhile, my teachers keep pressuring me to show up with more work (or just any work) because I fall under "oh you have so much potential your ideas are amazing you need to get this NOW". I missed almost a month of college because i just couldn't deal and was also pretty sick (physically) so my parents finally sent me for therapy, but i keep feeling the "get better already" pressure. Every time i try to work i keep getting panic attacks. I missed college today again because i couldn't face my teachers. My classmates KNOW that i was sick and couldn't work (even though no one at college knows about the anxiety) and purposely keep asking me about how much I've completed to make themselves feel better, because they've been present in class but have barely done any work, and "atleast I've done more than you". I really, really can't stand myself right now, I hate being this worthless sack of **** and very much want to quit college, but i really like (or liked) what i (used to) do. Then again, I really just hate everything these days, my music, my designs, me. Do i take a break? How do I catch up with this ****load of work? How do i not detest myself and everything around me?
Reply 1
It's great that you're in therapy. Stay focused and stick with it.
Have you mentioned it at uni? A tutor you can trust? Unfortunately, while they don't know, you will remain under a lot of pressure to up your game. Talking to a member of staff in the department will help find a way of sorting things out workwise while you work on getting things sorted in your personal life - whether it be extensions, deferrals or taking time out and coming back to it.
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_B
Have you mentioned it at uni? A tutor you can trust? Unfortunately, while they don't know, you will remain under a lot of pressure to up your game. Talking to a member of staff in the department will help find a way of sorting things out workwise while you work on getting things sorted in your personal life - whether it be extensions, deferrals or taking time out and coming back to it.

Original post by Emily_B

Hi! Thanks a ton for your response! Since I'm on good terms with most teachers and know them well, I know that they wouldn't accept it as an excuse. Unfortunately, where I live, mental health isn't talked about, the mentality is more like "We've done this and been through life before you so you have to be able to do it too" "You just need to get over it and focus on the assignment" Then is the fact that I use humor as a coping mechanism so if my classmates found out, they'd never stop about how I'm just "pretending cause I'm late on submissions". This I know because when I was sick, (bronchitis) and unable to attend, the teachers accepted it officially but in person simply said, "I know you were sick but you could've still done the assignment, right?" and when my classmate was in critically sick last year, my classmates were pissed that the teachers gave her an extension. I really hate lying and being perceived as a liar is really getting to me, because I'm sure i haven't done anything wrong. I really appreciate your response though, it feels like atleast I'm not going crazy. Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! Thanks a ton for your response! Since I'm on good terms with most teachers and know them well, I know that they wouldn't accept it as an excuse. Unfortunately, where I live, mental health isn't talked about, the mentality is more like "We've done this and been through life before you so you have to be able to do it too" "You just need to get over it and focus on the assignment" Then is the fact that I use humor as a coping mechanism so if my classmates found out, they'd never stop about how I'm just "pretending cause I'm late on submissions". This I know because when I was sick, (bronchitis) and unable to attend, the teachers accepted it officially but in person simply said, "I know you were sick but you could've still done the assignment, right?" and when my classmate was in critically sick last year, my classmates were pissed that the teachers gave her an extension. I really hate lying and being perceived as a liar is really getting to me, because I'm sure i haven't done anything wrong. I really appreciate your response though, it feels like atleast I'm not going crazy. Thanks!

Your teachers' attitudes are s***. What about student support services? Any of them where you are/can you talk to them? If you're struggling with mental health, there ought to be someone within the organisation who you can talk to, and who can stand up to the department for you. What you're going through isn't an excuse, it's a genuine reason.
Hope there's some way of you getting stuff sorted without having to either fail or drop out.
Reply 4
Original post by Emily_B
Your teachers' attitudes are s***. What about student support services? Any of them where you are/can you talk to them? If you're struggling with mental health, there ought to be someone within the organisation who you can talk to, and who can stand up to the department for you. What you're going through isn't an excuse, it's a genuine reason.
Hope there's some way of you getting stuff sorted without having to either fail or drop out.

Woah. It's pretty competitive here,so we only have career counseling, to get better placements and whatnot.My school was pretty awesome, and had a counsellor, but at higher grades they kindof expect you to just..deal with it I guess? I'll stick to therapy and hope it works out. Thanks a ton for your response, I feel a lot better and a bit more hopeful!

Quick Reply

Latest