The Student Room Group

Question about AAT Level 2 course?

Hi,

I currently have a job in sales but I’m looking into getting in the more finance-y side of things. I’m currently a sales administrator but help out the finance team where I can and I really enjoy it hence me wanting to make a move.

I have experience but not direct finance role experience so I was thinking of doing my AAT level 2 course. My question is to people who have done this course. What’s it like? How much did it cost you? Did you do it through a job or on your own accord? What sort of areas did it go over? What was the work like? Is it something that could easily be done in your spare time and how hard is it?

If you could add anything else that you feel is of importance that’d be great.

Thank you!
Original post by lukeprobert
Hi,

I currently have a job in sales but I’m looking into getting in the more finance-y side of things. I’m currently a sales administrator but help out the finance team where I can and I really enjoy it hence me wanting to make a move.

I have experience but not direct finance role experience so I was thinking of doing my AAT level 2 course. My question is to people who have done this course. What’s it like? How much did it cost you? Did you do it through a job or on your own accord? What sort of areas did it go over? What was the work like? Is it something that could easily be done in your spare time and how hard is it?

Thank you!

Hi

The course is ok but depends on whether the teachers at the college that you would like to do it are like. You don't have to do it at a college however you will need to find an assessment centre to do the exams. For level 2 it roughly costs about £1600 inc books, exams and AAT student membership. Level 3 currently is about £2600 roughly (inc the same as level 2).

I funded it myself but you can always ask your manager/company to see whether they would fund it for you. Level 3 you can get a student loan for the course which is good if you want to do that and the company don't want to fund it and you can't afford it. Level 2 covers Sage, Bookkeeping transactions, elements of costing, bookkeeping controls and working effectively in finance. This will cover using sage software for everything from input invoices to creating statements, correcting errors etc. The other modules cover working out costs and double entry and t accounts etc.

The work was ok as long as you put in the work by reading the books and completing the questions etc. Yes you can do it in your spare time, I did a two night evening course at a local college which I would suggest having a look at seeing where a college is near you that does the course if you don't mind going in in the evening. You don't have to do it at a college but I think it would be better as you can get a better understanding and ask questions with a answer straight away. It most likely will be easier to understand in a classroom rather than a book or interest page. Level 2 isn't that hard and since you have some experience from your work that should help you out on the course.

Definitely check local colleges etc to see if they do the course and find out how much they are doing it for and how long the course is as the one I am on is basically a year but some colleges do it over 18 months. Ask your manager/boss/company whether they would be willing to fund the course as you're interested in that area and would like to get a finance role. If you don't want to go to college for the course do a lot of research on the different companies who offer the course and make sure you find out what is included in the cost as the online stuff they don't include the exams it might work out more expensive than going to a college. Level 3 and 4 get more difficult and cover more things in more detail.
Reply 2
Original post by lukeprobert
Hi,

Thank you!

Hi, my local college offered level 2 for £700 and level three for 780, it didn't include books but they have some in the office to borrow but they scan the pages needed and upload them to the college site for learners to access anyways.

It's modules were: bookkeeping controls, bookkeeping transactions, elements of costing, using accounting software and working effectively in finance.

Elements of costing was about costs so stepped, fixed, variable, semi variable cost identification, the high low method (Google it), what's a direct and indirect cost, FIFO LIFO AVECO for inventory or issue costing and a few others.

My two bookkeeping modules blurred but it was the accounting equation, what's a debit and what's a credit ( DEAD CLIC OR PEARLS to remember what goes to what sides), ledgers, the balance brought and balance carried down in the ledgers, trial balances, suspense accounts (the two sides not equalling and opening a suspense account on the trial balance), bank reconciliation, and a few other things.

Accounting software was how to long transactions into sage (always make sure the dates are set right!!) and it did not appear in the end exam.

Working effectively in fiance did not have it's own exam but did appear as two questions in the end exam. Both bookepings and elements of costing appeared in both.

The minimum Marks required to pass is 70%, then a merit is 80+ and a distinction is 90+.
Personally I'd recommend a college tutor, we did ours as one night class a week for four hours.

I'd recommend doing a quick Google of a few things I mentioned and see if you get it on your own or if you need it explained.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 3
Oh. And get your terminology definitions in there before you bother starting anything.
Capital, expenditure, debtor, creditor, payable, receivable, liability, assets, fixed or non current, revenue, profit and loss account, balance sheet etc

The course is a little difficult otherwise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending