The Student Room Group

Retakes and graduation

Hi there I need some assistance.
I have been in law school for 3 years now. I have passed every single exam with either firsts or 2:1’s. However I failed my land law exam and had to retake it in August. I redid the land law exam in August and I got my results saying I got 35 which is 5 marks of the pass grade which is 40. I am now being told I’m not allowed to remark my exam and that there is no way I’m allowed to graduate this October with my class and will need to retake the semester again next year. I need some serious help and guidance as I think it’s really unfair that I can’t graduate due to 5 marks especially because all my other grades have been spot on. I studied at London south bank and any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
J
Original post by JordanCarter
Hi there I need some assistance.
I have been in law school for 3 years now. I have passed every single exam with either firsts or 2:1’s. However I failed my land law exam and had to retake it in August. I redid the land law exam in August and I got my results saying I got 35 which is 5 marks of the pass grade which is 40. I am now being told I’m not allowed to remark my exam and that there is no way I’m allowed to graduate this October with my class and will need to retake the semester again next year. I need some serious help and guidance as I think it’s really unfair that I can’t graduate due to 5 marks especially because all my other grades have been spot on. I studied at London south bank and any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
J

Hi Jordan,

It is awfully unfair to be made to take an entire semester, especially as you were on course for graduating. Unfortunately, if your course outline specifically mentioned a pass of this unit at a pre-requisite for passing the semester, I'm not sure if there is a way out of it. Did you have any mitigating circumstances at all? Were these submitted during exam season?

Also, did other students find this exam difficult also? How did it fare compared to previous papers?
Original post by WazzWazz98
Hi Jordan,

It is awfully unfair to be made to take an entire semester, especially as you were on course for graduating. Unfortunately, if your course outline specifically mentioned a pass of this unit at a pre-requisite for passing the semester, I'm not sure if there is a way out of it. Did you have any mitigating circumstances at all? Were these submitted during exam season?

Also, did other students find this exam difficult also? How did it fare compared to previous papers?

Hi there,
I didn’t submit mitigating circumstances however my tutor had sent me guidelines for a qualifying law degree in which it states that there are some conditions and one of the conditions states that providing all exams have been passed one module is allowed to be compensated if the grade is between 35-39 which in my case was 35 and meets the threshold. This was sent to me by my course administrator in an attached file however the email that this file came in stated that I can’t graduate. So there is a contradiction between the two statements which were sent in the same email.
Thanks
J
Original post by WazzWazz98
Hi Jordan,

Hi there,
I didn’t submit mitigating circumstances however my tutor had sent me guidelines for a qualifying law degree in which it states that there are some conditions and one of the conditions states that providing all exams have been passed one module is allowed to be compensated if the grade is between 35-39 which in my case was 35 and meets the threshold. This was sent to me by my course administrator in an attached file however the email that this file came in stated that I can’t graduate. So there is a contradiction between the two statements which were sent in the same email.
Thanks
J EBDBAE5E-3985-4E43-B013-A09831ADB4E0.jpeg
Unfortunately I'm finding it a bit difficult to read the attachment but I would make the following remarks based on my understanding:

There are usually compensatory fails for marks under 40 (eg optional units), but there can be units in vocational degrees which are essential to be passed in order to progress to the next level/graduate.

So it may depend on whether land law is a compulsory module etc.

The only way to clarify would be to see your administrator asap
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending