The Student Room Group

Broadcaster John Humphrys savages bias at the BBC

Having left school at 15, he says he felt an outsider at the BBC ‘rather like the junior butler trying to blag a seat at his lordship’s dining table in Downton Abbey’. His memoir also reveals that:

BBC bosses wallowed in despair when Britain voted Leave in the referendum;

Its staff increasingly ‘confuse their own interests with those of the wider world’;

‘Barmy’ jargon-spouting managers behaved like 1950s Kremlin commissars;

The BBC is in hock to ‘the politically correct brigade and the most fashionable pressure groups’.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7487661/Broadcaster-John-Humphrys-lifts-lid-institutional-liberal-bias-BBC.html

No comment, lots of people know that already and this is for those who don't know enough about the Brexit Bashing Church.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z-hog

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7487661/Broadcaster-John-Humphrys-lifts-lid-institutional-liberal-bias-BBC.html

No comment, lots of people know that already and this is for those who don't know enough about the Brexit Bashing Church.

When you leave school and enter the adult world, you’ll realise grumpy man goes on long predictable rant after leaving employer isn’t news. It is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow.
Reply 2
The BBC consistently gets complaints about biases... From both sides equally. Suggests they're probably doing something right, really.
Out of all the channels, IMO, BBC is the least biased/most neutral.....

I think one problem people don't always understand, or accept, is when reporting facts, it can actually mean the reporting doesn't fit with someone's opinion. That someone then thinks reporting is biased!
Generally I find 90% of the BBCs content pretty good and unbiased.

But they have sections and specific things that are awful:

-They are very pro-royal across all their platforms
-Politically they are good at keeping left/right ballanced, but awful at keeping brexit/remain balanced. Anyone who watches question time - their most popular political show can see this numerically. They keep the audiance ballanced, but they frequently and normally feature a majority of remain panalists, and very rarely balance it out. I have never, and I watch it every week, seen a brexit-majority panel.
-On their web-coverage their headlines are increadibly biased towards the left.. but the articles themselves are normally fair. Its stupid the amount of times that I get pissed at a mis-leading headline, but then you open the article, and they explain it propperly.. its a shame they need to give in to clickbaity type emotional headlines.
-Certain sections like their more youth orientated BBC3 and one of their online departments that I forget the name of, are heavily left leaning.
- Their business section both live and online is quite right-wing ecomomically.

Overall though, they are still my source for news, and I can't think of any better alternative, unless you love living in your echo chamber.
Reply 5
Original post by _Wellies_
When you leave school and enter the adult world, you’ll realise grumpy man goes on long predictable rant after leaving employer isn’t news. It is as certain as the sun rising tomorrow.

i was going to say something just for the sake of politeness but it's not worth it, you're too insignificant for it. Typical leftie, really.
From the Guardian to Daily Mail links! Time to switch off notification.
Reply 7
In all honesty I think the BBC is unbiased or at least the majority of its content, to suggest otherwise is a little ignorant. I would trust the BBC more than so called journalists like Tommeh or Hopkins who are clearly VERY biased
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
The BBC consistently gets complaints about biases... From both sides equally. Suggests they're probably doing something right, really.

no it doesn't. it just means they are on the side of the soft-left liberal elite rather than the communists or right-wingers.
Reply 9
Original post by z-hog

John Humphrys has done a lousy job on the Today Programme since the referendum because he has consistently failed to interrogate any politicians on the Leave side to the extent that rather than force them to think about how to deliver what they've promised, he has played a part in the nonsense narrative that if Brexit doesn't happen it will be the Remainer's fault. For example if he had done his job properly, he would have made some attempt to ask David Davis why he lied about the existence of Brexit preparation papers rather than giving him a free pass and this would have ensured the Brexit side were making some effort to deliver on the referendum that they had just won.

That he reveals himself as biased after the fact comes as no surprise to me. His suggestion that the BBC should reflect the mood of the country is a great example of how Humphrys can't do impartial broadcasting. It doesn't matter what people think, what matters is what the facts are and getting them reported without fear or favour. If you don't get the facts out, then what people think will be based on imperfect information, which is exactly what has happened because of his piss poor interviews of people like Rees-Mogg, Davis, Duncan-Smith, Farage and Fox.
it is depressing that the people on the Today Programme feel obliged to continue Mr Humpy's very rude interrupting style of interview. :angry:
Original post by z-hog

The BBC is a cultural marxist enforcement organ populated by the soft of self-delusion people, who are completely lacking in self-reflection, and conceited in their ignorance basically the idea type that the universities are trying to create. They spend their entire lives virtue signalling their politically correct belief that seem to lack any consistency - with a copy of the Guardian under their arm - which is lying for social justice. For example half the criticisms / career ruining/ snowflake culture or cancel culture comments they seem to make (such as a man looking a woman the wrong way, or a joke about gays) seem to apply doubly to Islam than to anything else, but of course their cognitive dissonance and institutional brainwashing would never allow them to say this. They have swallowed that Foucault / Derrida newspeak bible about the west being a terrible oppressive place than oppresses minorities. They show as a status symbol their woke adherence to political correctness, for example the terrible oppression of some poor group that can't really be substantiated with facts.

They operate with this worldview that their opinions are actual facts and immutable. They are terrible people to talk to or debate with as they don't believe in debate. If you disagree with then say in a formal setting like a British university and cite Jordan Peterson's argument that it is completely irrational to assume differences in outcomes between groups is caused by discrimination, unless there is evidence to say so - they look at you as if you are from another planet and need to be explained the truth. They don't attempt to debate, they just repeat. If you are really good at arguing with them, they just go into silence, and retreat because your rebuttal has caused them to have a circular internal argument that is fighting with their ideological conditioning that they cannot easily resolve - they are not wise people who can resolve this - and the BBC and British universities loop up to such people (not people with a brain who really can think).

There was a recent debate between Douglas Murray and Roger Scruton, hosted by The New Statesman, in which Roger Scruton said that trying to explain to these types of people that they are defrauded is impossible because a person who has been defrauded does not have the ability to perceive the fraud that has taken place.
Reply 12
Original post by The RAR
In all honesty I think the BBC is unbiased or at least the majority of its content, to suggest otherwise is a little ignorant. I would trust the BBC more than so called journalists like Tommeh or Hopkins who are clearly VERY biased

Ahh a convicted fraudster who dabbles in thuggery and being a coke head and a woman who looks more like a donkey than a real life human (and acts more like the rear end of an ass to boot). What a delightful state of affairs 'journalism' is in
Reply 13
Original post by A Rolling Stone
no it doesn't. it just means they are on the side of the soft-left liberal elite rather than the communists or right-wingers.

What is with all this talk of 'sides' it isnt a game of football and how exactly are they but a tool of the so called 'elite', especially given its the 'elite' whining about them at the moment.
Original post by Napp
What is with all this talk of 'sides' it isnt a game of football and how exactly are they but a tool of the so called 'elite', especially given its the 'elite' whining about them at the moment.

they are on the side that Humphrys revealed. not that we didn't know that already.
Reply 15
they are on the side that Humphrys revealed. not that we didn't know that already.

He less seems to identify a side as opposed to a laundry list of personal complaints...
Original post by Napp
He less seems to identify a side as opposed to a laundry list of personal complaints...

no... unless you are unable to read, you will realise he is pointing out the BBC are on the political side of the remainer liberal-left.
Reply 17
no... unless you are unable to read, you will realise he is pointing out the BBC are on the political side of the remainer liberal-left.

And i am once again telling you that is a load of clap trap, unless of course you have a political axe to grind in which case anyone who isnt a extremist leaver is a member of the, as you so quaintly described it, "remainer liberal left".
Original post by Napp
And i am once again telling you that is a load of clap trap, unless of course you have a political axe to grind in which case anyone who isnt a extremist leaver is a member of the, as you so quaintly described it, "remainer liberal left".

he voted remain, and pointed out the BBC is biased towards remain. so that ruins your little conspiracy theory
Reply 19
he voted remain, and pointed out the BBC is biased towards remain. so that ruins your little conspiracy theory

So?
What conspiracy theory? :lol: I simply said YOU have a political agenda

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending