The Student Room Group

Dental work experience, Help !

Hi guys I am in the process of applying for the Dental Hygiene and therapy course at University of Birmingham. One of their requirements is to have work experience working in a dental practice, and apparently it’s mandatory! I have really tried my best to find work experience, I’ve tried my local dentist and also searched beyond places in my area however all the practices I’ve inquired at are either fully booked or don’t offer the work experience.
Would it be okay to apply without the work experience? Does anybody know someone who has been successful in this situation? Or is it a good idea to find different work experience as long as it’s in the healthcare field? I’m panicking because application deadlines are In January!!
Original post by Ruva M
Hi guys I am in the process of applying for the Dental Hygiene and therapy course at University of Birmingham. One of their requirements is to have work experience working in a dental practice, and apparently it’s mandatory! I have really tried my best to find work experience, I’ve tried my local dentist and also searched beyond places in my area however all the practices I’ve inquired at are either fully booked or don’t offer the work experience.
Would it be okay to apply without the work experience? Does anybody know someone who has been successful in this situation? Or is it a good idea to find different work experience as long as it’s in the healthcare field? I’m panicking because application deadlines are In January!!

Hi there!
Definitely when I applied for uni I was under the impression you needed work experience. I had 5 weeks when I applied which was a mixture of general practice, laboratory and hospitals. I think the course is so competitive you'd stand a much better chance of getting a place if you have some work exp! That being said i know its getting harder and harder to secure it. My main work experience was with my own dentist and I managed to get in there by asking them when I was in for my check up. I have to add though these work experiences were over approx a 2 year period to get up to the amount I had. Generally they'll be happy if you've just got something. Have you tried the hospitals?

Birminghams website says: Candidates should demonstrate work observation/experience in Dental Hygiene and Therapy in the UK and evidence of good dexterity (for example, through playing a musical instrument, model-making, DIY work or art).

So although it doesn't specify mandatory... its very competitive (i know as i applied there myself back in 2012! I got an offer but ended up going to Edinburgh) so I would so definitely keep trying to secure some. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by TheMolarBear
Hi there!
Definitely when I applied for uni I was under the impression you needed work experience. I had 5 weeks when I applied which was a mixture of general practice, laboratory and hospitals. I think the course is so competitive you'd stand a much better chance of getting a place if you have some work exp! That being said i know its getting harder and harder to secure it. My main work experience was with my own dentist and I managed to get in there by asking them when I was in for my check up. I have to add though these work experiences were over approx a 2 year period to get up to the amount I had. Generally they'll be happy if you've just got something. Have you tried the hospitals?

Birminghams website says: Candidates should demonstrate work observation/experience in Dental Hygiene and Therapy in the UK and evidence of good dexterity (for example, through playing a musical instrument, model-making, DIY work or art).

So although it doesn't specify mandatory... its very competitive (i know as i applied there myself back in 2012! I got an offer but ended up going to Edinburgh) so I would so definitely keep trying to secure some. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your feedback hopefully it all works out for me because I really do have limited time!!

Quick Reply

Latest