The Student Room Group

Dentistry advice

i am an aspring dentist, it has been very hard gaining valuable work experience in this field, can you drop a link below or advise me in the right direction,
Reply 1
Original post by Raheem_w
i am an aspring dentist, it has been very hard gaining valuable work experience in this field, can you drop a link below or advise me in the right direction,

What year are you in? Are you doing A-levels? TRy spring pod and going into any local practices and explain your situation and ask for a day even
Reply 2
Original post by sb.xo
What year are you in? Are you doing A-levels? TRy spring pod and going into any local practices and explain your situation and ask for a day even

im in year 13, in my final year of a-levels, i ahve applied for dentsitry, have recieved no offers therfore am applying for a gap year for reappliaction, i havnt had much dental work experience, i have completed the virtual dental work experience programme already
Reply 3
im in year 13, in my final year of a-levels, i ahve applied for dentsitry, have recieved no offers therfore am applying for a gap year for reappliaction, i havnt had much dental work experience, i have completed the virtual dental work experience programme already

As someone a bit older, this may not help but my advice would be to never give up hope and follow your passion, even if it takes you through a longer path. My route into dent is perhaps a bit less common but I think the thing that worked for me was my work experience - even if it was unrelated to dentistry. I struggled to find any dental practises that would allow me to shadow them, especially when I'd tell them my age and their tone would change. Nonetheless, I did some volunteering in an eye hospital and also as a listening volunteer for an emotional support charity and had also, many years prior to that, volunteered abroad as well as briefly working for a UK homelessness charity. As long as you can prove/convince the admissions team on your PS that you have valuable experience which will help you as a dentist, that's what that counts (although post-covid their expectations may again favour actual dental practises). Sorry if this post is a bit long (or patronising) but as someone who genuinely has passion to help people, i'd say dont just do any volunteering for the sake of your PS, do something you care about and this will hopefully be reflecting in your application. Best of luck!
Reply 4
Original post by indent2
As someone a bit older, this may not help but my advice would be to never give up hope and follow your passion, even if it takes you through a longer path. My route into dent is perhaps a bit less common but I think the thing that worked for me was my work experience - even if it was unrelated to dentistry. I struggled to find any dental practises that would allow me to shadow them, especially when I'd tell them my age and their tone would change. Nonetheless, I did some volunteering in an eye hospital and also as a listening volunteer for an emotional support charity and had also, many years prior to that, volunteered abroad as well as briefly working for a UK homelessness charity. As long as you can prove/convince the admissions team on your PS that you have valuable experience which will help you as a dentist, that's what that counts (although post-covid their expectations may again favour actual dental practises). Sorry if this post is a bit long (or patronising) but as someone who genuinely has passion to help people, i'd say dont just do any volunteering for the sake of your PS, do something you care about and this will hopefully be reflecting in your application. Best of luck!

Thanks a lot, your advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply 5

I think you just need to keep trying and just cold call or email as many practices as you possibly can. I know people who have contacted hundreds . You only need 1 !

Quick Reply

Latest