The Student Room Group

I don’t have any career prospects!

Hey,
In year 11 i was sure I wanted to be an actuary when I was older but because I thought Further Maths would be too hard for me i decided not to do it at sixth form. I study Maths, Economics and English currently and I don’t have any idea what I’m going to study at uni. The top universities ask for further maths to study Maths or Economics and there isn’t anything worthwhile you can do with an English degree.
Can anyone help guide me I’m really stressed about this! I don’t want to be doing a levels for no reason
You don't need to go to a "top" university. Most universities only need A levels in maths, a science, and another subject to do a maths or economics degree.
Reply 2
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
You don't need to go to a "top" university. Most universities only need A levels in maths, a science, and another subject to do a maths or economics degree.

I don’t do science however 😪
Original post by m2b
I don’t do science however 😪

you can drop English if you're in y12
ONLY take a course like actuarial science if you are sure you want to be an actuary. My university gives actuarial science studies exceptions for the IFoA exams so it's become useless for people who have decided they do not want to be an actuary anymore.
Original post by m2b
Hey,
In year 11 i was sure I wanted to be an actuary when I was older but because I thought Further Maths would be too hard for me i decided not to do it at sixth form. I study Maths, Economics and English currently and I don’t have any idea what I’m going to study at uni. The top universities ask for further maths to study Maths or Economics and there isn’t anything worthwhile you can do with an English degree.
Can anyone help guide me I’m really stressed about this! I don’t want to be doing a levels for no reason

The comment about English is quite redundant, as it actually is quite a broad degree that allows you to transfer into many different fields of work
Original post by mdowdall
The comment about English is quite redundant, as it actually is quite a broad degree that allows you to transfer into many different fields of work

such as...?
Reply 7
This is a perfect response, I did Further Maths at A-Level and so far I only used it in my first year for my linear maths module. I can't think of a time where I've looked at an IFOA exam paper and saw it needed knowledge from Further Maths.
Original post by MrMusician95
ONLY take a course like actuarial science if you are sure you want to be an actuary. My university gives actuarial science studies exceptions for the IFoA exams so it's become useless for people who have decided they do not want to be an actuary anymore.

This, if you want to be an actuary but not sure, then maybe go for a degree that is related (look up graduate schemes for actuaries, normally requirements say a degree in economics/maths etc), the only downside is you're unlikely to get any exemption from IFOA exams.
Original post by mdowdall

No into the actuarial field I'm afraid.
Reply 8
I don’t want to, I’m just confused and having people force ideas on me because I’m good at English
Reply 9
I think I’ll focus on trying to do an Economics or Maths with Stats degree which I guess it’s closely related to Actuarial Science, I only picked English as my third as I achieved well at GCSE and enjoyed studying - I didn’t opt for Further Maths as I, again, thought I’d struggle having only scrapped an 8 (A*) (although I got a 9 in my mocks)
Reply 10
What about Economics? Do you enjoy it, could you see yourself working in the city or in politics? With Economics you can combine it with so many things. I think you need to look at some sites on career advice and guidance or talk to your tutor at 6th form. They will probably remember others who did same A levels as you and what they went off to do.
The main thing is, do a subject you enjoy, or you will hate it and be wasting 28k in fees plus living costs! And when you have decided what you want to do further study in, look at the careers that it could lead to.
For example in my day, it was very common for Medicine, Pharmacy or Dentistry and Optometry to do A levels in Chemistry, Biology and Physics/ and or Maths. My friend got into Pharmacy with Chemistry, Maths and French! Some Unis will accept some unusual combinations as long as you have the main subject they want. For example everyone thinks or used to think for something like medicine or pharmacy where it is all about anatomy or treating disease you will need biology, but actually it's chemistry A level you need for both. You used to be able to get into both without biology!! With Maths and Economics have you considered Banking or Accountancy. And remember some of these companies will take you at 18 with A levels and train you and give you day release or night school to study their own material for their exams or the professional exams. And then you are likely ahead of the 3 yr uni graduates who may still need to do all the training that you have already done and you won't owe 28k in fees.

If I had my time again and had taken A level Maths with my A level Economics this is something I would have looked into. Do you really need to go to Uni? These days with 50% going rather than 20% 30 yrs ago, it doesn't really hold the cache it used to. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest