The Student Room Group

Carrer prospects in taking Chem?

I was wondering if anyone who took chemistry be Bsc or Mchem could tell me how the career prospects of taking chem seem. Good? Bad? Competitive?
Original post by hhhhu09-ioju90
I was wondering if anyone who took chemistry be Bsc or Mchem could tell me how the career prospects of taking chem seem. Good? Bad? Competitive?

Hey there :hi:
The career prospects are really great because studying chemistry gives you so many transferable skills.

If you have any specific questions, I am a recent chemistry graduate so happy to answer :smile:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hey there :hi:
The career prospects are really great because studying chemistry gives you so many transferable skills.

If you have any specific questions, I am a recent chemistry graduate so happy to answer :smile:

What are the possible career prospects? I got into chemistry because I love product formulation (like skincare, makeup, daily materials...) Can I acquire a job like that with just a chemistry degree?
What are the possible career prospects? I got into chemistry because I love product formulation (like skincare, makeup, daily materials...) Can I acquire a job like that with just a chemistry degree?

There's so many.
You can go into healthcare, accounting, finance, management, business, marketing/sales and also there are loads of scientific areas.
E.g:
Pharmaceutical science, battery science, nuclear chemistry, meteorology, biological chemistry and formulation/skincare/food industries.

I've seen jobs in formulation with just chem degree prerequisites so absolutely yes!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
There's so many.
You can go into healthcare, accounting, finance, management, business, marketing/sales and also there are loads of scientific areas.
E.g:
Pharmaceutical science, battery science, nuclear chemistry, meteorology, biological chemistry and formulation/skincare/food industries.

I've seen jobs in formulation with just chem degree prerequisites so absolutely yes!

So, in your opinion will going for a degree in Chemistry be better than say... Chemical Engineering/Material Sciences...
So, in your opinion will going for a degree in Chemistry be better than say... Chemical Engineering/Material Sciences...

I'd say yes in terms of flexibility for the future. Ie: those other degrees are quite niche and I guess you'd take those if there was something in particular career-wise you were after.
I reckon taking a degree in Chemistry you could still later on in life go down ChemEng/MatSci route as a career and it wouldn't be an issue, for example!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending