The Student Room Group

Getting into a city law firm and having the LPC funded

Hello,

I recently graduated this year from Queen mary’s University with a 2:1 in Law. However, I have quite a few 2:2’s in my first and second year.

I have got legal experience paralegaling in 2 places for the duration of my degree but not really in commercial areas. I also completed a mini pupillage and had a Saturday job as a maths teacher for about 5 years. I had also participated in volunteering and have been affiliated with them for a long time but it’s not law related but health. Whilst I was a part of societies, I was not committee members.

I really wanted insight of whether I would still be applicable to apply to city law firms. I know MC firms are out of the picture but national ones for example as I really want the LPC to be sponsored. Whilst they do say minimum criteria is 2:1, and AAB in a levels which I have achieved, I know that they still want people from oxbridge and those who have really high firsts and 2:1’s.

Would really appreciate advice. Have I messed up my career options especially with how competitive it is. Whilst I do have reasons they are not enough I don’t think to be considered mitigating and I did not state them to my uni at the time it happened though I can procure evidence from my doctors.
Thank you in advance
How come you haven’t applied already? I am week 1 into a queen marry llb and they have been hammering home applying for things now (for penultimate year students) and careers fairs being held and sessions in how to apply.
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine1973
How come you haven’t applied already? I am week 1 into a queen marry llb and they have been hammering home applying for things now (for penultimate year students) and careers fairs being held and sessions in how to apply.

I applied to one or two in my second year but I was so scared because of my grades that there would no point. I have been to law fairs etc and have done things like getting training in Lexisnexis
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ribaan
Hello,

I recently graduated this year from Queen mary’s University with a 2:1 in Law. However, I have quite a few 2:2’s in my first and second year.

I have got legal experience paralegaling in 2 places for the duration of my degree but not really in commercial areas. I also completed a mini pupillage and had a Saturday job as a maths teacher for about 5 years. I had also participated in volunteering and have been affiliated with them for a long time but it’s not law related but health. Whilst I was a part of societies, I was not committee members.

I really wanted insight of whether I would still be applicable to apply to city law firms. I know MC firms are out of the picture but national ones for example as I really want the LPC to be sponsored. Whilst they do say minimum criteria is 2:1, and AAB in a levels which I have achieved, I know that they still want people from oxbridge and those who have really high firsts and 2:1’s.

Would really appreciate advice. Have I messed up my career options especially with how competitive it is. Whilst I do have reasons they are not enough I don’t think to be considered mitigating and I did not state them to my uni at the time it happened though I can procure evidence from my doctors.
Thank you in advance

I also do not understand why you have not been applying for training contracts during your final year at uni. Even if you had been unsuccessful you would still have probably secured a couple of vacation schemes/ improved your technique/received some useful feedback. City Law firms often recruit 2 or even 3 years ahead, so you definitely should have applied by now. I wouldn't say you have messed up your career options but you have allowed yourself to fall behind your peers..... I would get applying as soon as possible
Reply 4
So, do you think I should apply directly for TC’s or vacation schemes. I have spoken to firms in the law fair, but I haven’t attended any vacation schemes with them. Would that be a hinderance?
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
I also do not understand why you have not been applying for training contracts during your final year at uni. Even if you had been unsuccessful you would still have probably secured a couple of vacation schemes/ improved your technique/received some useful feedback. City Law firms often recruit 2 or even 3 years ahead, so you definitely should have applied by now. I wouldn't say you have messed up your career options but you have allowed yourself to fall behind your peers..... I would get applying as soon as possible

Thank you for your response, I did apply but only very with obviously not successful results. I had very strong family obligations in my third year which were very time consuming and compulsory, but again something which I believe will not be considered a mitigating circumstance.
Original post by ribaan
Thank you for your response, I did apply but only very with obviously not successful results. I had very strong family obligations in my third year which were very time consuming and compulsory, but again something which I believe will not be considered a mitigating circumstance.

You need to apply to a lot more Firms - TCs and vacations schemes, whatever they are recruiting for. Family obligations is not something Firms will care about as lots of people have complicated or busy private lives, all they will care about are your grades, your work experience and how convincing you can make your application. At the moment you don't seem that enthusiastic about getting a training contract because you are focussing on the negatives of your situation rather than the positives and almost talking yourself out of it. If you are serious about a career in Law you will need to push yourself forward and be more proactive - although you are a good candidate in lots of ways you are competing against a lot of people who may be more "hungry" for the training contracts than you seem to be.
Reply 7
Original post by harrysbar
You need to apply to a lot more Firms - TCs and vacations schemes, whatever they are recruiting for. Family obligations is not something Firms will care about as lots of people have complicated or busy private lives, all they will care about are your grades, your work experience and how convincing you can make your application. At the moment you don't seem that enthusiastic about getting a training contract because you are focussing on the negatives of your situation rather than the positives and almost talking yourself out of it. If you are serious about a career in Law you will need to push yourself forward and be more proactive - although you are a good candidate in lots of ways you are competing against a lot of people who may be more "hungry" for the training contracts than you seem to be.

Thank you for your reply. I understand your advice, I just wanted confirmation that is it still possible to apply because of my grades? Or am I wasting time and effort applying for national/city firms who can fund my LPC. I have always wanted to work in a city firm and am not sure if they will even consider me anymore
Reply 8
Thank you
Original post by ribaan
Hello,

Thank you in advance

Just spend time on your applications and then bang them in. It only takes one offer and although these forums would have you believe otherwise there are plenty of excellent firms outside the MC and plenty of them that will fund you. You should be using your careers service and any links they have.
Reply 10
Thank you do you have any recommendations, I know those such as DWF etc but still unsure if I have a chance.
Also think about what to do for the next year whilst waiting for a training contract - apply for something that would be relevant (admin work in a law form or volunteer experience at cab. or maybe other graduate schemes so you have other options (though that may look bad to a city firm if you say start accounting training)
Reply 12
Original post by Catherine1973
Also think about what to do for the next year whilst waiting for a training contract - apply for something that would be relevant (admin work in a law form or volunteer experience at cab. or maybe other graduate schemes so you have other options (though that may look bad to a city firm if you say start accounting training)

I was thinking of paralegaling. I have a firm in mind, its not a city firm but is on the legal 500. Do you think that would be enough?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending