The Student Room Group

What should I do?

I took my A-levels this past year. I was predicted A*AA, but unfortunately came out with ABB. Both B's were 1 mark off the A, so this was hugely frustrating. I think A*AB would have been fair grades going in, the reason for the B in English Lit (my best subject and desired degree) was that in my 45% paper (my first exam) I simply read the essay question wrong and by the time I realised and had corrected the essay I did not have time to finish the other essays. I achieved A*s in the other two English papers but due to the weighting of the paper it dragged my overall down.
Are these bad grades as they are? I know they are decent grades by many- just not my potential. I am aiming to do a conversion course after university to law to become a solicitor and know that many top firms have A-level barriers - are these good enough? I am planning on retaking the two B's as they were so close and have already contacted private tutors to set the ball rolling. Or will the fact I have retaken put too much of a negative mark on my application to aim for magic circle firms?
I am aiming to reapply to UCL, KCL, Durham, Exeter and Newcastle - all of whom have said they would accept me as a retake candidate.
I just feel extremely, extremely down. I worked so hard and know I knew my stuff but that English exam really did mess me up, as otherwise I may well have A*AB - something I'd be more than happy with. I know I've asked a lot of questions but I just want to gage my true position from an outsiders point of view. Should I retake both B's (Eng. lit and Geography) or just English as I'm taking it for degree? If I do both and end up with A*AB/AAA/A*A*A would my job prospects at a top firm be limited still or not? Will retakes affect my chances of getting a training contract or if I achieve high grades should they not mind? Finally, has anyone experienced similar or know anyone who has gone onto a top corporate position after retakes etc? thanks in advance.
Original post by bigspeller
I took my A-levels this past year. I was predicted A*AA, but unfortunately came out with ABB. Both B's were 1 mark off the A, so this was hugely frustrating. I think A*AB would have been fair grades going in, the reason for the B in English Lit (my best subject and desired degree) was that in my 45% paper (my first exam) I simply read the essay question wrong and by the time I realised and had corrected the essay I did not have time to finish the other essays. I achieved A*s in the other two English papers but due to the weighting of the paper it dragged my overall down.
Are these bad grades as they are? I know they are decent grades by many- just not my potential. I am aiming to do a conversion course after university to law to become a solicitor and know that many top firms have A-level barriers - are these good enough? I am planning on retaking the two B's as they were so close and have already contacted private tutors to set the ball rolling. Or will the fact I have retaken put too much of a negative mark on my application to aim for magic circle firms?
I am aiming to reapply to UCL, KCL, Durham, Exeter and Newcastle - all of whom have said they would accept me as a retake candidate.
I just feel extremely, extremely down. I worked so hard and know I knew my stuff but that English exam really did mess me up, as otherwise I may well have A*AB - something I'd be more than happy with. I know I've asked a lot of questions but I just want to gage my true position from an outsiders point of view. Should I retake both B's (Eng. lit and Geography) or just English as I'm taking it for degree? If I do both and end up with A*AB/AAA/A*A*A would my job prospects at a top firm be limited still or not? Will retakes affect my chances of getting a training contract or if I achieve high grades should they not mind? Finally, has anyone experienced similar or know anyone who has gone onto a top corporate position after retakes etc? thanks in advance.

Too much drama.

Keep it simple. You underperformed because you made a mistake which was your own fault.
You are obviously very good at Eng Lit, so you just need to tick over plus get slightly sharper.
I would take Geog as well as you could ned up with A*A*A.

Check your traget unis will accept resit (you have done some), then get on with it. They are what they are. If you get a good degree from UCL or KCL then you should be fine and the A levels shouldnt hold you back, then its the rest of your app and interview. By the time you get there, there will be no conversion course just sqe, in that case having a good academic record is going to be important.
Original post by bigspeller

ABB would still be enough for a lot of big Firms - and A*AB even more so. It's risky retaking a subject you already got a B in as your grade could go down as well as up, and you seem to think that the B in Geography was fair. I would just stick with retaking the English Lit as that's the one that you know you could have got a significantly higher grade in. and a better grade in English will help you get into the sort of unis you want to apply to. I would focus on getting onto a good English degree and take it from there. Law firms will ask about the date you took every exam (so know about the English resit) but I don't think it will be too much of a problem since you achieved ABB at first sitting anyway and they will be able to see from your degree grades that you are (hopefully!) performing at a high level on your degree.

These are some of the big Law firms A level requirements

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest