The Student Room Group

Books for Maths PS too 'standard'?

So, basically, I've got my personal statement written up already but I'm starting to have doubts about whether the books I've included are sufficient. They are Hardy's A Mathematician's Apology and Simon Singh's Fermat's Enigma. It seems, however, that these are routinely mentioned in maths personal statements. The former bothers me especially because although it's pretty thought-provoking, it's very short so I don't know whether it'd be taken seriously. Thoughts on this?
Original post by Pablo22510
So, basically, I've got my personal statement written up already but I'm starting to have doubts about whether the books I've included are sufficient. They are Hardy's A Mathematician's Apology and Simon Singh's Fermat's Enigma. It seems, however, that these are routinely mentioned in maths personal statements. The former bothers me especially because although it's pretty thought-provoking, it's very short so I don't know whether it'd be taken seriously. Thoughts on this?

Did you only read these to include in your PS? There are lots of Maths books - you need to draw out what you found interesting about any you name. Naming books isn't necessary anyway ..
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79
Did you only read these to include in your PS? There are lots of Maths books - you need to draw out what you found interesting about any you name. Naming books isn't necessary anyway ..

Nope. Read them because a relative recommended them. And I did mention explicitly what I found interesting about each. I just feel like those two books in particular are often mentioned by students on their PS.
Original post by Pablo22510
Nope. Read them because a relative recommended them. And I did mention explicitly what I found interesting about each. I just feel like those two books in particular are often mentioned by students on their PS.

It'd be better to put a book you chose .. haven;t your school got some in the library? Have you got time to put something else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending