The Student Room Group

Final Year Dissertation computer science

Hey, It's possible to do a thesis on computer science without coding?
Reply 1
Original post by Alexandre007
Hey, It's possible to do a thesis on computer science without coding?

I think this will depend on your course and uni. I believe that having no coding whatsoever may not be sufficient for a pass at university level. At most unis, you would be expected to do some programming at dissertation level, even if it is at a minimum.

I know how you feel, I hated doing coding but you can pretty much pick any topic of interest, that should give you motivation to get through the year.

It is best to consult your course officer.
Original post by UWS
I think this will depend on your course and uni. I believe that having no coding whatsoever may not be sufficient for a pass at university level. At most unis, you would be expected to do some programming at dissertation level, even if it is at a minimum.

I know how you feel, I hated doing coding but you can pretty much pick any topic of interest, that should give you motivation to get through the year.

It is best to consult your course officer.

Hi,
Yap, I hated so much, but I'm last year of uni and i need to do my thesis, and im trying to find some topic without coding! but i dnk if it is possible!
I'm just looking for some ideas!
@Blue_Cow might be able to suggest some broad areas of current research in CS that don't emphasize programming. However whether these will meet the rubric for a dissertation at your uni is something only you can find out; ask your personal tutor/director of studies. They may require you produce an artefact for it on your course, which will almost certainly involve some programming.

Generally though, assuming you can do an entirely research based dissertation, there are probably a lot of more theoretical and/or mathematical topics you could write on which involve no practical programming. You may also be able to do something less theoretical and more "applied" without much programming focusing on e.g. ergonomics/the psychological side of HCI or similar.
Hi, yes i can do research dissertation in network, big data and artificial intelligence. Any suggestion on those topics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending