The Student Room Group

Master dissertation resit impacting Visa and Career Plans

It seems that there is a possibility that I might need to resit my master's dissertation. According to my university's regulations, if I have to resit my master's dissertation, I won't be eligible for the Post-Study Work Visa (PSW). Additionally, I will be scheduled to graduate in the summer of next year (a year later than originally planned). My current student visa expires at the end of January next year (the school won't extend the visa for the reason of dissertation resits). I'm interested in knowing how I can maximise my chances of obtaining a work visa (I'm studying computer science) to stay in the UK.

If I were to start looking for a full-time job now, the issue arises on how to explain to potential employers that I don't have a PSW and will only obtain my degree in the summer of next year. Would this affect my job search? I really would prefer not to pursue another master's solely for the purpose of obtaining a PSW (also, I'm unsure if the PSW application will still be open a year from now).

Edit: Can I trust any recruitment agency in the UK (to help me narrow down the search area of suitable jobs which may provides visa alongside)?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
I’m so sorry to hear what you are going through. Your university should support you to extend your current student visa. Perhaps speak to an immigration lawyer for some advice regarding your visa.
Original post by 星星宝瓶
It seems that there is a possibility that I might need to resit my master's dissertation. According to my university's regulations, if I have to resit my master's dissertation, I won't be eligible for the Post-Study Work Visa (PSW). Additionally, I will be scheduled to graduate in the summer of next year (a year later than originally planned). My current student visa expires at the end of January next year (the school won't extend the visa for the reason of dissertation resits). I'm interested in knowing how I can maximise my chances of obtaining a work visa (I'm studying computer science) to stay in the UK.
If I were to start looking for a full-time job now, the issue arises on how to explain to potential employers that I don't have a PSW and will only obtain my degree in the summer of next year. Would this affect my job search? I really would prefer not to pursue another master's solely for the purpose of obtaining a PSW (also, I'm unsure if the PSW application will still be open a year from now).
Edit: Can I trust any recruitment agency in the UK (to help me narrow down the search area of suitable jobs which may provides visa alongside)?

Did you get the PSW?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending