The Student Room Group

What two English Lit books should I compare for coursework ?

For my coursework I was thinking doing either a gothic or dystopian genre for my two books. What novels do you suggest?
for gothic, maybe dracula, frankenstein, picture of dorian gray, castle of otranto ('first' gothic novel), the woman in black

Would try and pick books from different time periods within the genre to enable a greater contrast (for example, dracula and dorian gray are both 'fin de siecle' novels (end of the century), whereas wuthering heights and jekyll and hide are more from the middle of the 19th century, and stuff like the castle of otranto and the monk are from the 18th century, at the very start of the genre), would also recommend at least one pretty popular and well known text to ensure there's a lot of resources on it (there's probably gonna be a lot more critical reading, analysis and articles on dracula - a pop culture icon - than john polidori's the vampyre, the 'first' modern vampire text)

i study the gothic as a genre for a-level lit so will try to answer any further questions on that, @Tolgarda may be able to help you with any questions regarding dystopia
Reply 2
Thanks for the tag, @troubletracking.

For a comparative essay on the dystopian genre, you might want to use some of the prescribed set texts from OCR's specification seeing as the examiners clearly believe that links can be made between them (e.g. A Clockwork Orange, The Time Machine, Fahrenheit 451 etc.).

I recommend these comparisons because I've either done, heard or seen them before:
- Nineteen Eighty-Four and The Handmaid's Tale
- The Handmaid's Tale and The Testaments
- Nineteen Eighty-Four and We
- Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World
Original post by Tolgarda
Thanks for the tag, @troubletracking.

For a comparative essay on the dystopian genre, you might want to use some of the prescribed set texts from OCR's specification seeing as the examiners clearly believe that links can be made between them (e.g. A Clockwork Orange, The Time Machine, Fahrenheit 451 etc.).

I recommend these comparisons because I've either done, heard or seen them before:
- Nineteen Eighty-Four and The Handmaid's Tale
- The Handmaid's Tale and The Testaments
- Nineteen Eighty-Four and We
- Nineteen Eighty-Four and Brave New World

prsom:smile:
wow second option sounds hella interesting, hadn't even thought that was a legit possibility
Reply 4
Original post by troubletracking
prsom:smile:
wow second option sounds hella interesting, hadn't even thought that was a legit possibility

PROSM, and yeah, someone was explaining it to me haha. They had already read it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending