The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship levels - what do they mean?

Hi,
I have just signed up for TSR as I am just getting more and more confused about my options after A Levels.
I really don't think that uni is for me and so have been trying to get some information on degree apprenticeships - or other apprenticeships that I could apply for.
My school doesn't seem to have much information as it seems that everyone else is off to uni and are all busy writing their personal statements. Until last week, none of the teachers had even asked me what I was planning on doing and when I said I didn't know, the teacher just looked at me in surprise/horror and didn't believe me!
I have seen a couple of apprenticeships on the web but they have this in their minimum requirements:
"Educated to A level or equivalent standard with grade C or above in both English and Maths GCSE"

Now, I don't know if I am just being dim, but does educated to A Level standard mean they are looking for someone with A levels, or who left school after GCSEs?

Thanks!
Original post by repsaJ
Hi,
I have just signed up for TSR as I am just getting more and more confused about my options after A Levels.
I really don't think that uni is for me and so have been trying to get some information on degree apprenticeships - or other apprenticeships that I could apply for.
My school doesn't seem to have much information as it seems that everyone else is off to uni and are all busy writing their personal statements. Until last week, none of the teachers had even asked me what I was planning on doing and when I said I didn't know, the teacher just looked at me in surprise/horror and didn't believe me!
I have seen a couple of apprenticeships on the web but they have this in their minimum requirements:
"Educated to A level or equivalent standard with grade C or above in both English and Maths GCSE"

Now, I don't know if I am just being dim, but does educated to A Level standard mean they are looking for someone with A levels, or who left school after GCSEs?

Thanks!

Someone who has level 3 qualifications A level, access BTEC extended diploma or diploma, IB.

If you PM me later in the week or I catch some spare time I will help sort you out alternatively you can talk to national careers.

Degree apprenticeships will be mostly competitive so you will need good level 3 grades.

https://www.ucas.com/alternatives/apprenticeships/apprenticeships-england/what-apprenticeships-are-available/degree-apprenticeships
Original post by repsaJ
Hi,

Thanks!

Hi there,

Hoping I can offer you some support here.

Apprenticeships are split into different levels which are called - intermediate, advanced, higher, degree and masters.

To break these down for you...

Intermediate - This is a level 2 apprenticeship which is equivalent to GCSE level. Employers may ask that you have some GCSEs already to apply including Maths and English. More often than not an apprenticeship will be in a subject you haven't studied before so will ask you start at level 2 before progressing.

Advanced - This is a level 3 and will help you work towards an NVQ or BTEC at level 3. You will need around 5 GCSEs including Maths and English to apply for these positions.

Higher - These apprentices can be at levels 4 or 5 and you will most likely need A-levels or a level 3 BTEC or NVQ as well as GCSEs. A level 4 is a HND/HNC and a level 5 is a foundation degree.

Degree - This is a level 6 apprenticeship which is full degree level. You will need either A-levels or as above a similar level 3 and most likely experience in the industry.

Masters - This is level 7 and is classed as post-graduate education. There are not many apprenticeships available at level 7 and they are incredibly competitive. You will need your undergraduate degree first.

As you are at level 3 at the moment with your A-levels, I would advise looking at higher and degree apprenticeships but also keeping in mind that doing a level 3 apprenticeship will help you get your foot in the door with a business you could then progress in.

I hope this helps, please do let me know if you have any further you would like to talk about.

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 3
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Hoping I can offer you some support here.

Apprenticeships are split into different levels which are called - intermediate, advanced, higher, degree and masters.

To break these down for you...

Intermediate - This is a level 2 apprenticeship which is equivalent to GCSE level. Employers may ask that you have some GCSEs already to apply including Maths and English. More often than not an apprenticeship will be in a subject you haven't studied before so will ask you start at level 2 before progressing.

Advanced - This is a level 3 and will help you work towards an NVQ or BTEC at level 3. You will need around 5 GCSEs including Maths and English to apply for these positions.

Higher - These apprentices can be at levels 4 or 5 and you will most likely need A-levels or a level 3 BTEC or NVQ as well as GCSEs. A level 4 is a HND/HNC and a level 5 is a foundation degree.

Degree - This is a level 6 apprenticeship which is full degree level. You will need either A-levels or as above a similar level 3 and most likely experience in the industry.

Masters - This is level 7 and is classed as post-graduate education. There are not many apprenticeships available at level 7 and they are incredibly competitive. You will need your undergraduate degree first.

As you are at level 3 at the moment with your A-levels, I would advise looking at higher and degree apprenticeships but also keeping in mind that doing a level 3 apprenticeship will help you get your foot in the door with a business you could then progress in.

I hope this helps, please do let me know if you have any further you would like to talk about.

Thanks - Sophie.

Thanks Sophie - that is really useful. I think have read all those things ... but all in different places and all at different times. It is really helpful to see it all in one place at one time. I shall start looking at level 4, 5 & 6 to see what is available.
Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest