The Student Room Group

Worries about Sixth Form/Apprenticeships

Guess this is kind of a vent post, though I'd be exceedingly grateful if anyone had any advice or if anyone's gone through anything like this. Sorry for the length, the last couple paragraphs basically sum up my current predicament.

Basically, we made the decision a year ago to home-educate GCSEs, and it's gone really well: I got 3 9s and a 7 in my first year, now in my second and doing the rest. Decided on that because of terrible mental health from general stress due to an at-risk family member, and stress from loss of friends and effective bullying. When we did this, we planned for me to go back to Sixth Form/College to do A-levels: mostly because I wanted to do Biology, which needs the practicals, and because of the support needed for uni applications.

Now, though, I just don't feel like it's going to be any different than secondary school. My old 'friends' will probably be at this sixth form (no alternatives nearby) and I don't really want that. I'm also just worried that I'm going to dip again.

I have considered apprenticeships, but I'm worried about cutting off my options by not doing A-levels, and trouble in getting a job afterwards: I'm interested in Software Development and Maths related jobs, and I'm not sure how easy it would be to continue after an apprenticeship. Also there's obviously a limit, and I'm especially worried that the Level 3 IT apprenticeships don't provide enough experience in development.

At the moment, I'm edging towards Apprenticeships and taking the future bridges when I come to them. I just don't know if this is the best option. By the way, when I say I don't think I'd be able to cope with Sixth Form, I really mean it.

Thanks.
Hey there!

Congratulations on the results so far! Do you really need A Level biology for your chosen career path? Could you do Maths, CS and maybe FM or something which doesn't require practicals? If you are set on Biology I suggest finding centres which will allow you to do the practicals there for a fee.

Alternatively you could go for the apprenticeship which means you weren't just stuck at home and you were meeting new people. Perhaps you could do an A Level at some kind of night school at the same time and then apply for an access to he course once you are 19 in order to get into university.

There is no "best way" - prioritise mental health and be realistic in what is possible for you. You are obviously bright - you got this!
Reply 2
Original post by UndercoverJames
Hey there!

Congratulations on the results so far! Do you really need A Level biology for your chosen career path? Could you do Maths, CS and maybe FM or something which doesn't require practicals? If you are set on Biology I suggest finding centres which will allow you to do the practicals there for a fee.

Alternatively you could go for the apprenticeship which means you weren't just stuck at home and you were meeting new people. Perhaps you could do an A Level at some kind of night school at the same time and then apply for an access to he course once you are 19 in order to get into university.

There is no "best way" - prioritise mental health and be realistic in what is possible for you. You are obviously bright - you got this!

Hey, thank you very much for the kind words, I really appreciate it :smile:. I guess it's definitely something to bear in mind about doing the practicals at a centre, the only thing that puts me off from that route is the sheer expense, and lack of support for uni applications and such: though I think that'd be a bridge to cross if I came to it. The point about the apprenticeships is very much appreciated too, I definitely think if I went that route I would do an A-level too to leave my options open. I think too it's easy go get caught up in thinking about what's going to happen, and I forget that I still have months to decide, and even if I do choose one route it's not going to block all the others.

Thanks again for everything, I'm definitely going to research a bit more about continued home-education and apprenticeships too. Wish there were more like you in the world!

Quick Reply

Latest