The Student Room Group

Gcse art tips ♥

I'm taking GCSE Art at the moment and was wondering if anyone could give any tips as to how you could achieve an 8/9 in it. Im on the AQA exam board by the way
Also if you could give me tips when it comes to the artist research that would help too! I'm currently researching now and I'm trying to write my artist biography , any tips on how I can write a really good one?

Thanks! x
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Not sure if I can be much help, as I did OCR and I got a 7, but I’ll try my best :smile:
We didn’t have to write biographies for artists, so I can’t help you there.
My one piece of advice in general would be to take initiative. Art is most likely your only subject where you have coursework, and it can be strange compared with other subjects where you do little outside work or thought. If your teacher says ‘maybe you could develop this page into this etc etc etc’, then do it. Then add another page about something you found out about the artist/medium/style. Then add some drawings in that style. Then add some direct observational drawings to do with that. You could go on like this forever, but just realise how it’s YOUR sketchbook and YOU need to be the one taking control of what you do.
At the same time, make sure that anything like that you do actually links to your overarching theme, and that you’re not just doing it for the hell of it.

I hope that helps, and good luck with your art :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kannmnn
Not sure if I can be much help, as I did OCR and I got a 7, but I’ll try my best :smile:
We didn’t have to write biographies for artists, so I can’t help you there.
My one piece of advice in general would be to take initiative. Art is most likely your only subject where you have coursework, and it can be strange compared with other subjects where you do little outside work or thought. If your teacher says ‘maybe you could develop this page into this etc etc etc’, then do it. Then add another page about something you found out about the artist/medium/style. Then add some drawings in that style. Then add some direct observational drawings to do with that. You could go on like this forever, but just realise how it’s YOUR sketchbook and YOU need to be the one taking control of what you do.
At the same time, make sure that anything like that you do actually links to your overarching theme, and that you’re not just doing it for the hell of it.

I hope that helps, and good luck with your art :smile:

Thanks alot! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest