The Student Room Group

Should I do GCSE art?

I'm genuinely passionate about art and the sound of taking art as a GCSE sounds appealing. However, people have complained about the huge workload and the stress that GCSE art brings. As a side note I'm also aiming to get (preferably) all 9s, so I'm a bit concerned that GCSE art would take up too much of my time.
Original post by strawbexe
I'm genuinely passionate about art and the sound of taking art as a GCSE sounds appealing. However, people have complained about the huge workload and the stress that GCSE art brings. As a side note I'm also aiming to get (preferably) all 9s, so I'm a bit concerned that GCSE art would take up too much of my time.

There is a lot of work :lol:
If you truly are passionate, and good at it, do it. If you enjoy the subject, you’ll enjoy the projects you do, so the workload won’t feel as bad. Personally, I’ve just dropped it… but I’m not hugely passionate about it, and for some people it’s an amazing GCSE. You do have to be dedicated but you’ll still have time for your other subjects - maybe three hours of art outside of school per week as a maximum.
Reply 2

Hi, I'm in Y11 so I've done art for a while now as gcse. I know people who were passionate about art and aren't coping well with the workload. Art gcse has ruined their passion.

If you are a VERY organised person, art's workload should be fine for you. You need to ideally do art every week, which can be difficult if you are disorganised like me and doing triple/separated science.

It is very easy to get burned out from art. If you are spontaneous with the art you produce, and you often leave your projects unfinished, I don't recommend taking art. You need to be consistent.

Also, art gcse is not just drawing what you like. Yes, you do get to draw what you like, but you need to research A LOT, do artist studies, produce regular artwork, annotate your work, form an art idea and put it into words, do photoshoots, write reflections and ESSAYS. It is a lot of writing as well.

Another note is the exams are very long.

So basically, if you are ORGANISED, dedicated and passionate, go ahead :biggrin:
yeah as someone who dropped art three months into year 10, it is defo a decision you need to think abt lots. like the person above has said, it requires a major amount of extra time. my friend told me she dedicated more time to art than all her core subjects combined. its even worse when ur a perfectionist like me, which is why i had to drop it and pick up something else

if you are talented in it tho, and unfortunately i do mean like a natural talent, you can get away w spending ever so slightly less time. if you do end up taking it, make sure you go to all the open studio sessions and stuff to work on ur art more. also stay organised with your time. if you have a lot of out of school stuff going on, i don't recommend taking it

you may also find it helpful to talk to ur art teacher abt the course and the different sections of it and how much freedom there is and if you have opportunities to do what you want essentially.

if u do take it up, good luck. it defo was fun while it lasted and i dont regret doing it one bit - i literally ended up finding my best friend looooool
(edited 1 year ago)
Honestly I found art one of the hardest subjects as it was the only one we’re you had to do work outside of lessons. If you’re willing to do that then sure but if you’re like me and wasn’t you’ll end up leith a 6 like me (my worst grade)
Reply 5

in in y12 starting a level art and i LOVED gcse art! i ended up with a lot of late nights completing work but i really enjoyed all of it. personally i found coursework a lot less stressful than revision and when i was stressed out revising other subjects, i would do some art coursework which was a lot more calming. i would reccoment taking it if you have a passion for art, and if you take it my tip is to always communicate with your teacher. if you have a good idea of what you need to do to boost your grade and what you're doing right then you'll save yourself so much time doing extra unneccesary work.
Reply 6

had to choose my options in y8, started gcses in y9. currently y11 and i'm so burnt out from art, my predicted grade for art was an 8 but i only got a 5 in my past 2 mocks, and my sketchbook is worth a 6. personally, i hate it but some of my friends who are actually good at it really love it. but a 5 isnt good enough for me and i wish i never picked it

Quick Reply

Latest