The Student Room Group

gcse art grade lower than expected

hi guys i recently got my art ocr work marked and got 126, which is barely a grade 5 in 2019 grade boundaries, my art teacher had told me i would get a 6 back in year 10, and a 7 if i worked harder, i started taking art home to finish and refine but somehow went down to a grade 5 now, an official examiner hasnt come to moderate the marking yet and i want my work to be marked by the examiner, but the students who get picked to be marked by the examiner are completely random and i could be stuck at a 5, does anyone know how to guarantee a mark by an examiner? my work is definitely above a grade 5, i have searched grade 5 art examples and i have put a lot more into my art, im not lacking in any annotations or artist research, and i have the same mark as students with half the amount of work and effort, all my other subjects are grade 7 and above, and i dont want art to be a 4 or a 5.
Any help or tips please?
Original post by Limone
hi guys i recently got my art ocr work marked and got 126, which is barely a grade 5 in 2019 grade boundaries, my art teacher had told me i would get a 6 back in year 10, and a 7 if i worked harder, i started taking art home to finish and refine but somehow went down to a grade 5 now, an official examiner hasnt come to moderate the marking yet and i want my work to be marked by the examiner, but the students who get picked to be marked by the examiner are completely random and i could be stuck at a 5, does anyone know how to guarantee a mark by an examiner? my work is definitely above a grade 5, i have searched grade 5 art examples and i have put a lot more into my art, im not lacking in any annotations or artist research, and i have the same mark as students with half the amount of work and effort, all my other subjects are grade 7 and above, and i dont want art to be a 4 or a 5.
Any help or tips please?

I don't have much experience, but here are some tips:
1. Rather than looking at grade 5 examples, look at examples from the grade you are aiming for, see what those examples have that your art is lacking to give yourself an idea of what you need
2. Practice your techniques and skills, sometimes practice really does help improve yourself
3. Don't be afraid to experiment, sometimes the problem could be you're being too safe - think, how can I be creative? what different textures and colours/shades could I use? is there certain materials that could enhance my art?
4. Don't burn out, maybe what you need is a break and to return refreshed and ready to continue
5. Similar to point 3, change up your style and use different perspectives to help you
I hope that helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by *LifeHappens*
I don't have much experience, but here are some tips:
1. Rather than looking at grade 5 examples, look at examples from the grade you are aiming for, see what those examples have that your art is lacking to give yourself an idea of what you need
2. Practice your techniques and skills, sometimes practice really does help improve yourself
3. Don't be afraid to experiment, sometimes the problem could be you're being too safe - think, how can I be creative? what different textures and colours/shades could I use? is there certain materials that could enhance my art?
4. Don't burn out, maybe what you need is a break and to return refreshed and ready to continue
5. Similar to point 3, change up your style and use different perspectives to help you
I hope that helps and good luck!

thanks for your advice but the deadline has already past for more work xD i had a look on the grade im aiming for and i really dont see what im missing, i tried experimenting with clay and charcoal which i dont see people do often so i dont think its the experimentation,
Reply 3
Original post by Limone
Any help or tips please?

do lots of experimenting
Original post by Limone
thanks for your advice but the deadline has already past for more work xD i had a look on the grade im aiming for and i really dont see what im missing, i tried experimenting with clay and charcoal which i dont see people do often so i dont think its the experimentation,

Ah well ok, if you can't do much now, then don't worry too much about it - art is a difficult subject and you must have done well to achieve atleast a pass!
Original post by Limone
Any help or tips please?

I do AQA but you could appeal your results. I would suggest you talk about this with your Art teacher or even head of year. I’m not sure when OCR begins reviewing appeals but I’m assuming it’ll be after the moderation. It might take a while and it does require a cost but I’m assuming you feel quite strongly about this so I don’t think that matters.

It is a bit strange that your grade would drop especially if you didn’t take any work out. I’ve never met anyone who has dropped a grade despite this much work on it. Have you tried asking your Art teacher about it? The only reason I can think of is if you didn’t show enough of your own ideas and development.

Honestly though, 5 is a solid grade especially for such a demanding GCSE subject like art. If you’re worried about this affecting your future please don’t. Most sixth forms and colleges only require a portfolio and/or a grade 4 in art if you want to study it further. If you’re going on a different path, then it really doesn’t matter at all.
Reply 6
Original post by tiredartist21
I do AQA but you could appeal your results. I would suggest you talk about this with your Art teacher or even head of year. I’m not sure when OCR begins reviewing appeals but I’m assuming it’ll be after the moderation. It might take a while and it does require a cost but I’m assuming you feel quite strongly about this so I don’t think that matters.

It is a bit strange that your grade would drop especially if you didn’t take any work out. I’ve never met anyone who has dropped a grade despite this much work on it. Have you tried asking your Art teacher about it? The only reason I can think of is if you didn’t show enough of your own ideas and development.

Honestly though, 5 is a solid grade especially for such a demanding GCSE subject like art. If you’re worried about this affecting your future please don’t. Most sixth forms and colleges only require a portfolio and/or a grade 4 in art if you want to study it further. If you’re going on a different path, then it really doesn’t matter at all.

Thanks for your help! ill try talking to my head of year about it and see what i can do, it wasnt just me whose grade suddenly dropped in the class, there were others and they were also really confused as to why

Quick Reply

Latest