The Student Room Group

AQA Power And Conflict-Which poems to memorise?

I have my mocks in two weeks and I’ve just started the poetry anthology and am confused as to what I need to do. We’ve been told we need to know 6-7 of the poems and their and analysis off by heart but also be able to know the analysis of the rest. What 6 poems are the most versatile to remember and how much of their analysis do I need to memorise. Also what’s the best way to do this? Thanks!
Hi! It’s best to know all of the poems at least a little, but good poems to memorise in my opinion are:
- Ozymandias
- Remains
- War Photographer
- Checking out me history
- My Last Duchess
- Exposure

It’s personal preference, of course, but I would say it’s good to memorise at least one poem related to war, power, identity and war from a different perspective (e.g Poppies or War Photographer). This way you’ll be okay whichever question comes up. As Forbes
Sorry! I accidentally hit reply before I could finish. As I was saying, as for how to memorise the poems and how much analysis you need, it really depends on you. Some ideas are flashcards with a theme on the front and quotes on the back, planning practice essays and using mind maps to link poems. It depends how easily you form your own analysis and what grade you are aiming for as to how much analysis you need, but aim for points in language, form and structure for each poem as this pushes you up the markscheme.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RebeccaB_x
Hi! It’s best to know all of the poems at least a little, but good poems to memorise in my opinion are:
- Ozymandias
- Remains
- War Photographer
- Checking out me history
- My Last Duchess
- Exposure

It’s personal preference, of course, but I would say it’s good to memorise at least one poem related to war, power, identity and war from a different perspective (e.g Poppies or War Photographer). This way you’ll be okay whichever question comes up. As Forbes

Original post by RebeccaB_x
Sorry! I accidentally hit reply before I could finish. As I was saying, as for how to memorise the poems and how much analysis you need, it really depends on you. Some ideas are flashcards with a theme on the front and quotes on the back, planning practice essays and using mind maps to link poems. It depends how easily you form your own analysis and what grade you are aiming for as to how much analysis you need, but aim for points in language, form and structure for each poem as this pushes you up the markscheme.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much! This definitely helped. I think these were some solid choices and a lot more versatile than others. Also thanks for the tips. Do you have any advice on structuring response as we haven’t gone through it in class and won’t be able to before our mocks. Thanks again!
Original post by epicnm
Thank you so much! This definitely helped. I think these were some solid choices and a lot more versatile than others. Also thanks for the tips. Do you have any advice on structuring response as we haven’t gone through it in class and won’t be able to before our mocks. Thanks again!

What I always tried to do was link each poem to the question and the other poem with each point I made. In terms of structure, you could go through the poems chronologically - start, middle, end - or go thematically - linking points through themes. Either method is fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest