The Student Room Group

english lit revision? HELP

so i’m kinda struggling on how to revise for english lit poetry sections. i’m at a 7 rn but i want a 9. for the poems we have only done 6 poems in school and i feel like i’m going to struggle to memorise all 15 before gcses considering i haven gone through the other 9 yet and cause it’s only a few months left. how should i revise for poetry? also is it necessary for like the short intro paragraphs when answering the questions?
Reply 1
Original post by s.248
so i’m kinda struggling on how to revise for english lit poetry sections. i’m at a 7 rn but i want a 9. for the poems we have only done 6 poems in school and i feel like i’m going to struggle to memorise all 15 before gcses considering i haven gone through the other 9 yet and cause it’s only a few months left. how should i revise for poetry? also is it necessary for like the short intro paragraphs when answering the questions?

If you can't memorise the poems in depth then memorise the key points. Your school could be doing what my school is doing and waiting because it should have been fresher in our minds. When we did poetry we had two poems that we knew really well. We did power and conflict and did ozymandias for power an remains for conflict. We had pre-planed paragraphs and would write these as or starting. You would then do a comparison paragraph. The effect of the verb.... in .... has this affect whereas the verb ...in..... We would then do a short conclusion to sumarise it. Also remember the unseen poetry part of the exam. I think we used the same structure ; analyse one fully then do the next paragraph including some comparison.
I hope that helps
Reply 2
Original post by s.248

You don’t have to memorise all of them in detail, but know some key quotes/points so you can talk about them (like prose). I’d recommend watching analysis videos for the individual poems for revision and perhaps practice comparing them and writing some answers. You should definitely have a short introduction for your answers; a sentence re-iterating the question and the poems will suffice.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bing1234

If you can't memorise the poems in depth then memorise the key points. Your school could be doing what my school is doing and waiting because it should have been fresher in our minds. When we did poetry we had two poems that we knew really well. We did power and conflict and did ozymandias for power an remains for conflict. We had pre-planed paragraphs and would write these as or starting. You would then do a comparison paragraph. The effect of the verb.... in .... has this affect whereas the verb ...in..... We would then do a short conclusion to sumarise it. Also remember the unseen poetry part of the exam. I think we used the same structure ; analyse one fully then do the next paragraph including some comparison.
I hope that helps

thank youu :smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by waffelton

You don’t have to memorise all of them in detail, but know some key quotes/points so you can talk about them (like prose). I’d recommend watching analysis videos for the individual poems for revision and perhaps practice comparing them and writing some answers. You should definitely have a short introduction for your answers; a sentence re-iterating the question and the poems will suffice.

thank youuuu
Original post by s.248

Don't worry about memorising every detail - just remember the summary and key ideas in the poem (e.g. what is it written in? Why did the writer write in free verse or a sonnet? etc...)
I would say during your exam you would sometimes need a short intro paragraph when answering questions. This is mainly when comparing two poems.

e.g. Compare Poem A w/ Poem B in terms of ...
Similarities: Both A and B contain ... because... In A, the writer ... Similarly, in B, the writer ...
Differences In A, the writer does ... while in B, the writer does ... (short summary and then write it in more detail). In A, the writer ... On the other hand, in B, the writer ...
Reply 6
Original post by jelllyfiiish

Don't worry about memorising every detail - just remember the summary and key ideas in the poem (e.g. what is it written in? Why did the writer write in free verse or a sonnet? etc...)
I would say during your exam you would sometimes need a short intro paragraph when answering questions. This is mainly when comparing two poems.

e.g. Compare Poem A w/ Poem B in terms of ...
Similarities: Both A and B contain ... because... In A, the writer ... Similarly, in B, the writer ...
Differences In A, the writer does ... while in B, the writer does ... (short summary and then write it in more detail). In A, the writer ... On the other hand, in B, the writer ...

okay thank you :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest