The Student Room Group

Should I change from power and conflict to love and relationships

Hi guys.
So, basically, I am a year 11 student and my school does a mixture of power and conflict and love and relationship GCSE English literature AQA, depending on what class you are in my class. Unfortunately, my class did a vote and majority chose power and conflict and I really don’t like it. the poems are quite long compared to the loving relationship ones and I have no interest in them. However, I was given a poetry anthology and was looking through the love and relationships ones and they actually seem quite decent. The majority are quite short and I have two weeks till the exam. Should I learn the love and relationship poems: I don’t even have to learn the poems just a few vital quotes from them and when you get given the exam you’ve got to pick the question that you want to do out of
love and relationships are power and conflict, it’s not like the examiner will know that I studied power and conflict. plus, since some classes did study love and relationships, the lesson slides from them are available on my school email for me to look through I cannot stand power and conflict it’s honestly horrible should I change it or just stick with what I have. power and conflict is doable, but I really don’t like it .
Reply 1
Original post by xx0610xx
Hi guys.
So, basically, I am a year 11 student and my school does a mixture of power and conflict and love and relationship GCSE English literature AQA, depending on what class you are in my class. Unfortunately, my class did a vote and majority chose power and conflict and I really don’t like it. the poems are quite long compared to the loving relationship ones and I have no interest in them. However, I was given a poetry anthology and was looking through the love and relationships ones and they actually seem quite decent. The majority are quite short and I have two weeks till the exam. Should I learn the love and relationship poems: I don’t even have to learn the poems just a few vital quotes from them and when you get given the exam you’ve got to pick the question that you want to do out of
love and relationships are power and conflict, it’s not like the examiner will know that I studied power and conflict. plus, since some classes did study love and relationships, the lesson slides from them are available on my school email for me to look through I cannot stand power and conflict it’s honestly horrible should I change it or just stick with what I have. power and conflict is doable, but I really don’t like it .

power n conflict is easier as you can predict which papers coming up
Reply 2
I mean you can, but you'll be cutting it a bit fine. I assume you want to get the highest grade possible, so I wouldn't recommend doing any drastic last minute changes.
Reply 3
Hi there,

I'm a year 11 at the moment currently studying love and relationships poetry. What I love about it is there's a lot you can say and lots of the poems compare really nicely together. However, in some of the poems there's a lot more that meets the eye, hidden messages etc. so unless you cover these in class, I imagine it will be quite difficult to unlock those top grades. I really would not recommend switching with such little time as there are some quite lengthy poems like 'Porphyria's Lover', 'Farmer's Bride' and 'Singh Song!' Ultimately though its your decision and as someone who's studied them I think you will run out of time. If you do however decide to do it I'd recommend using a CGP guide. Normally I find CGP annoying and not useful but they do have a really good guide on love and relationships poetry.

But I'm glad you have identified poetry as something you hate. This shows that this is exactly where you need to focus your revision. If I were you, I would stick to power and conflict and watch a ton of YouTube revision videos, answer questions and review my notes and do everything I possibly can so that I'm confident when I walk into the exam hall. The last thing you want to do is be nervous that a poem you're unfamiliar with comes up

Best wishes for your exams,

Caotica

Quick Reply

Latest