The Student Room Group

2nd year med student AMA

Scroll to see replies

I have found myself worrying about that- as I can't see the NHS surviving for the 60+ years I'll be working in it :frown: I don't want to work in a private system as that's not what I signed up for, we'll just have to see what happens and deal with it from there. I'm sure you've had similar thoughts!
Reply 21
A few friends of mine are now doctors but while at med school they gave lectures and went to conferences. They also wrote some articles/papers. Is this mandatory for all students?
Original post by TomSmith12345
My bad. I was more just going off the promises I'd heard Corbyn saying- as well as his apparent disregard for captalism etc... He just seems like a relic of a bygone era where communism had any hope of working

If we went off things people said it would be an instant vote for Boris with his 20 hospital upgrades and 40 new ones, Boris wouldn't lie would he?
Original post by Lostx
If you could be anyone who would it be?

Mad Jack Churchill. Gonna sound weird but I'd want to know wtf was going through his head as he stormed normandy with a sword and bagpipes.
Plus it'd be pretty cool to get the last ever bow and arrow kill in a major conflict (give him a google and you'll se what I mean ahah!)
Reply 24
Do many do this though? Is it that competitive? Is it all to get into your chosen specialty?
How did you find the first year of med school? Did you get much work? what were the exams like compared to A level? Did you find you needed a lot of textbooks? Did you find you had to change revision techniques and that kind of thing? What would your advice be to a student about to start med school? Thanks x
Original post by Lostx
A few friends of mine are now doctors but while at med school they gave lectures and went to conferences. They also wrote some articles/papers. Is this mandatory for all students?

As ecolier (who is vastly more experienced and knowledgable than me) said above no way! I think it's a good idea to get involved as much as possible and head to conferences and stuff but I've not even heard of people in my year writing papers yet... Maybe I'll look into it :smile:
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
If we went off things people said it would be an instant vote for Boris with his 20 hospital upgrades and 40 new ones, Boris wouldn't lie would he?

The issue is you're right! This is why I'm completely stumped on who to vote for- I've gone through essentially ever party at some point this election and my votes going to depend on how I feel on the day I guess... I wish there was just 1 stand out candidate who I could get behind but they're all undesirable!
Is your degree relatively difficult in terms of content?
The issue is you're right! This is why I'm completely stumped on who to vote for- I've gone through essentially ever party at some point this election and my votes going to depend on how I feel on the day I guess... I wish there was just 1 stand out candidate who I could get behind but they're all undesirable!

As someone that works in the industry of building and improving hospitals a lot of the work we are getting now is stuff we had drawn up plans for years ago but they had their funding pulled.

The Tories have had their chance, so while I completely agree that Comrade Corbychov isn't great he will probably be marginally better than Boris.
Reply 30
If you’ve always wanted to be a doctor but haven’t succeeded what career would you choose?
Reply 31
I have considered it, and it does appeal to me. I would always feel like I have drawn the short straw though; seeing fellow colleagues practising as doctors.
Reply 32
Oh ok, that sounds good. Another thing which puts me off is the competition, which I guess is a given for all Medicine courses. I don’t like how people say they work as a team when at the end of the day are competing against one another. :frown:
Reply 33
Thank you so much. :smile:
Original post by star1812
How did you find the first year of med school? Did you get much work? what were the exams like compared to A level? Did you find you needed a lot of textbooks? Did you find you had to change revision techniques and that kind of thing? What would your advice be to a student about to start med school? Thanks x

I found the first year of med school fairly difficult but it was more my own fault as I enjoyed my freedom a bit... too much... The content isn't that difficult but the volume and pace is insane and if you fall behind you stay behind- its almost impossible to catch up during term time. I didn't need any textbooks at all but that was more because my med school provided a lot of valuable resources free as well as most of the relevant information being in the powerpoints they taught us with.

I did have to change my revision technique because medicine goes so much deeper than A levels and its difficult to figure out where to draw the line with how deep you want to go- everyone is different in this regard and the first few weeks are usually figuring out where you fit.

My main piece of advice would be enjoy it! Medical school is interesting and fun, and you'll never be bored! Make sure you make the most of your free time now because as we move through medical school that time quickly shrinks away :smile:
Original post by quirky editor
Is your degree relatively difficult in terms of content?

Content definitely not. The superficial content is deceptively easy but the option is there to go deep into the subject (this will get you more marks but will suck up more time) and then it becomes more difficult. Volume however... I don't think any other degree comes close- who would've thought learning the entire process and anatomy of the human body and all the ways it can go wrong and all the different ways to fix all the different ways it can go wrong can be quite a large quantity... You've got to know what you're getting yourself in for!
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
As someone that works in the industry of building and improving hospitals a lot of the work we are getting now is stuff we had drawn up plans for years ago but they had their funding pulled.

The Tories have had their chance, so while I completely agree that Comrade Corbychov isn't great he will probably be marginally better than Boris.

See you've swung me again haha! Who knows who I'm gonna vote for...
See you've swung me again haha! Who knows who I'm gonna vote for...

Vote with your conscience.
Original post by Lostx
If you’ve always wanted to be a doctor but haven’t succeeded what career would you choose?

Hey! I read yours and 's convo and I would have to agree that there are various other medical careers out there which are equally fulfilling and worthwhile.
If I hadn't got into medicine I often wonder what would have happened as I didn't really have a back up plan. The most likely thing would have been me joining up to serve in the army (which is closer to med school that you think!) but I'm not sure if I was ever truly serious about that ambition. A back up plan is an absolute must! Don't be like me hahaha :smile:
I found the first year of med school fairly difficult but it was more my own fault as I enjoyed my freedom a bit... too much... The content isn't that difficult but the volume and pace is insane and if you fall behind you stay behind- its almost impossible to catch up during term time. I didn't need any textbooks at all but that was more because my med school provided a lot of valuable resources free as well as most of the relevant information being in the powerpoints they taught us with.

I did have to change my revision technique because medicine goes so much deeper than A levels and its difficult to figure out where to draw the line with how deep you want to go- everyone is different in this regard and the first few weeks are usually figuring out where you fit.

My main piece of advice would be enjoy it! Medical school is interesting and fun, and you'll never be bored! Make sure you make the most of your free time now because as we move through medical school that time quickly shrinks away :smile:

Thank you! X

Quick Reply

Latest