The Student Room Group

Still can't decide what course to take, need some help

I'm interested in animals and biology, but the difficulty of vet medicine is putting me off. I could take courses such as vet nursing and/or animal behaviour but I'm concerned about the salary and if its worth it. I don't have a 6 (got 5) in english language so I'm restricted in that way too. Please any help or advice if I should go ahead with vet med or do something else, and if a gap year is worth it for me
Original post by DiyaP500
I'm interested in animals and biology, but the difficulty of vet medicine is putting me off. I could take courses such as vet nursing and/or animal behaviour but I'm concerned about the salary and if its worth it. I don't have a 6 (got 5) in english language so I'm restricted in that way too. Please any help or advice if I should go ahead with vet med or do something else, and if a gap year is worth it for me

Hi there :hello:

Which school year are you in at the moment, if I can ask that? :smile:

What would you be planning to do with a gap year?
Reply 2
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Hi there :hello:

Which school year are you in at the moment, if I can ask that? :smile:

What would you be planning to do with a gap year?

New to this, sorry.
I just finished year 12
Maybe if I took a gap year I could do some work experience around this type of work and see what I enjoy, as I haven't done any clinical work experience for vet med
I just finished year 12
Maybe if I took a gap year I could do some work experience around this type of work and see what I enjoy, as I haven't done any clinical work experience for vet med

I think that would definitely be a good idea, organising some work experience, either for the coming year or in a gap year.

I fear that if you've done no relevant work experience so far that you wouldn't have much to talk about come applying this October (remember vet med has the early deadline).

You should also look closely at the GCSE requirements for vet schools, if they have them, and make sure your grades meet the requirements.

Hi!

Im currently studying animal behaviour and conservation and I am so happy i chose this course, but I did not take the decision lightly. I looked at vet med, vet nursing, conservation, behaviour and lots of different courses and then researched job salaries and also job satisfaction, because I would personally rather be happy and love my job than be in a higher paid job but stressed all the time. I think you should spend some time before you decide, look at lots of different uni courses and maybe go to some open days, talk to students and lecturers, you could also take some time and try volunteering in some different work environments to see how you get on. My advice is to be patient, do your research and find out as much as you can about the courses/universities/careers as you can before making a choice.

Good luck.

Victoria
-Wrexham Uni Rep
Reply 5
Original post by WrexhamUniReps
Hi!

Im currently studying animal behaviour and conservation and I am so happy i chose this course, but I did not take the decision lightly. I looked at vet med, vet nursing, conservation, behaviour and lots of different courses and then researched job salaries and also job satisfaction, because I would personally rather be happy and love my job than be in a higher paid job but stressed all the time. I think you should spend some time before you decide, look at lots of different uni courses and maybe go to some open days, talk to students and lecturers, you could also take some time and try volunteering in some different work environments to see how you get on. My advice is to be patient, do your research and find out as much as you can about the courses/universities/careers as you can before making a choice.

Good luck.

Victoria
-Wrexham Uni Rep

What kind of jobs can you get with an animal behaviour and conservation degree?
It's definitely something I'm Intrested in and I'd love to know more about it.
Thanks

@DiyaP500

Have you thought about zoology?

If you have a passion, then even if a course may be difficult that interest will help you persevere! It might be an idea to explore different vet courses and to find out more about how the course is structured. It might not be as scary as you think!

A gap year might be helpful if you can find something that will add to your experience or will develop your skills or knowledge. Again, it might be an idea to explore options that link to your interests.

If necessary and you do opt for a gap year, you could always see if you can retake English language, if a higher level is a necessary requirement for a university course.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
What kind of jobs can you get with an animal behaviour and conservation degree?
It's definitely something I'm Intrested in and I'd love to know more about it.
Thanks

Well there are quite a few different options varying from conservationist to things like business owners. Here are some jobs that past students have gone on to:

Zoo keeper - at different zoos including Chester Zoo and rescues in USA
Animal rescue manager
Zoo ranger
Wildlife ranger for local council
Biodiversity officer for local council
Dog trainer
Puppy training developer for police
Business owners such as exotic pet store

Obviously these are only some of the options available to you, alot will depend on interest and experience. Some students go on to do their masters or PHD, others go onto do their teacher training. One thing that i have really enjoyed about my course is the different opportunities to experience new things. We have had my guest speakers in such an expert in reptile conservation and welfare who brought in his collection of rescued reptiles, others speakers or experiences included bird of prey, police dog trainers, lecturers at local zoos. I also had the opportunity to do some short courses along side my degree which included a British wildlife course and a dog training course.

Please dont hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions.

Victoria
-Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending