The Student Room Group

[Official] Oxford History Applicants 2020

Scroll to see replies

To all the successful history applicants congratulations from a current final year student. Well done. Enjoy it briefly then focus on your exams. If you make it here be prepared for a punishing workload and minimal contact hours: I have averaged a little under four (yes, 4, not a typo) tutorial & class hours per week. There is a lot of solitary time in library/room researching & writing. To a significant extent you teach yourself history at Oxford with minimalist but highly expert guidance from tutors. I average about fifty (also not a typo) reading/researching/writing hours per week. It is very important you have a couple of societies & hobbies/sports to get you out mixing with people & having a life to keep some balance. I find it hard to sustain more than a couple of additional activities given the relentless essay treadmill. There are no short-cuts no matter how bright, if you don’t do the work it will be obvious!

To the unsuccessful, don’t worry. Missing out on the reality described above is not the end of the world. My good friends studying history at UCL & Exeter have more contact/interaction but a significantly lower combined workload. They have arguably had correspondingly fewer learning opportunities & a bit less choice over options as a result but probably a far more relaxed and varied overall student experience. The Oxford way is not for everyone and there are great educations on offer beyond these walls. Good luck and all the best!
Reply 561
Original post by the_egg
Ayy well done :biggrin:
Say hi to big man Peter Claus for me xD

Thank yewwww, I will once I pattern these grades 😭😭😭
Reply 562
Pembroke ppl message me so we can make a gc x
Original post by emiliahoney
Hey congrats on getting an offer!!!! Sorry to be really nosy, but I was just wondering what your stats were- gcses/a level predictions etc....I was rejected from Peter's to do history and I think maybe it was because of my grades but I'm not sure. Tks!

Sorry abt your rejection! My grades were 9x9s at GCSE and predicted A*A*A and EPQ A* at A Level
Original post by eclipseboi
Offer for History and Economics at Catz. Can't believe it!

Hi I’m applying to HECO next year, would you mind sharing your stats?
Original post by Gil_Pigeon
Hi I’m applying to HECO next year, would you mind sharing your stats?

Hi there, I posted them here

If you have any other questions about applying for HEco, feel free to message me :smile:
Hi, do you by any chance have a direct number for the admissions officer? I can only see the email a question link.Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending