The Student Room Group

How do i revise for a level english language

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ludendwarf
I'm actually studying literature at A Level.
Lol this will probably completely discredit me - but I thought this was in the GCSE thread. I am just an exhausted idiot trying to be helpful. Please excuse me!

I respect you for your honesty. Don't worry too much about it.

Original post by Ludendwarf
...Out of sheer nosiness - what is A level language like? I rather wish I had the opportunity to study the joint language and literature A level but alas my school wasn't offering it! Bummer. You have to use theorists?

It's more of a linguistics course. Not only do we analyse texts using language levels and very general context, but we also have discursive essay questions discussing linguistic topics like language change, which require language theorists like David Crystal to be used when creating your argument. The same counts for ‘child language acquisition’, where we look at the nature v. nurture debate on how children learn language from birth to eleven years old (I don't know if it's any older or younger in other syllabi). Creative writing is also still an element, and we have to write a commentary on our own work as well.
Original post by Tolgarda
What do you mean by ‘complex’? I'm scared I'm missing something now lmao.

Which exam board do you do? For sure English language is the easiest a level, so you’re probably not missing anything! I had a very long list of tricky terminology, especially for Language Change Over Time. It was difficult because some terms had very specific definitions. Also for my exam board, there were many more marks available for terminology in comparison to theories. It might be different for you though, so don’t panic. I sat my A Level back in May and English Language was definitely the easiest exam
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tolgarda
It's more of a linguistics course. Not only do we analyse texts using language levels and very general context, but we also have discursive essay questions discussing linguistic topics like language change, which require language theorists like David Crystal to be used when creating your argument. The same counts for ‘child language acquisition’, where we look at the nature v. nurture debate on how children learn language from birth to eleven years old (I don't know if it's any older or younger in other syllabi). Creative writing is also still an element, and we have to write a commentary on our own work as well.

Thank you! You are a sweetheart.

It sounds rather complex as a course but definitely fun. I'd certainly enjoy it, particularly the nature v. nurture debate and the creative writing element. I love writing.
Thanks for giving me insight! :smile:
Alice Preece on Youtube has done amazing overviews of each paper - best I’ve found considering there are so few resources for English lang anywhere
Original post by English2001
Which exam board do you do?

Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending