The Student Room Group

Outrage as blind African student is dragged out of Oxford Union

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -Imperator-
Yeah but he's still facing charges from representatives of Azamati. Remains to be seen whether they will persist.

Charges where exactly, private prosecution?
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Charges where exactly, private prosecution?

Yep, the Union's own "Intermediate Disciplinary Committee".
Original post by -Imperator-
Yep, the Union's own "Intermediate Disciplinary Committee".

That isn't private prosecution, that is an internal disciplinary.
That isn't private prosecution, that is an internal disciplinary.

Not prosecution.
Original post by Pinkisk
just got to love justice in this country...

The perps get away with a slap on the wrist, a resignation at most and then they just go about living their lives as normal...the victim gets to carry the scars from this experience for the rest of his life...he might even get to bump into his abusers every other day at the university...This is justice, for racism and violence? I am willing to bet had this happened to a white person at a black country, Britain would be in uproar...mocking the savagery and uncivilised nature of that country...but yeah its all good cause its happening here...white is right, right? so we have apply a different set of standards to this country, then we do other countries, especially of those countries are full of dark coloured people.

I agree, this is an absolutely pathetic 'punishment' that is not only an insult to the victim but an insult to people of colour and the disabled community.

I hope private prosecution is sought and won, followed by restorative justice including (but not limited to) the following:

1. He must pay financial reparations to the victim and the Oxford African Soc for the irreparable harm he has caused.

2. He must attend a compulsory diversity awareness and whiteness course.

3. He should be suspended for the rest of the year from his current course of study.

This might go some way towards a punishment.
Original post by Azagthoa
I agree, this is an absolutely pathetic 'punishment' that is not only an insult to the victim but an insult to people of colour and the disabled community.

I hope private prosecution is sought and won, followed by restorative justice including (but not limited to) the following:

1. He must pay financial reparations to the victim and the Oxford African Soc for the irreparable harm he has caused.

3. He should be suspended for the rest of the year from his current course of study.

Always you find when things like this happen...always, always, always, where the victims are of colour, always the abuser, relatively speaking, gets away with a slap on the wrist...if the abusers on the other hand were coloured then the entire government, the entire country would be out brandishing pitch forks screaming lynch them...

I recently spoke to a black student who was expelled from the university of exeter, this haunt for right wing extremists, for arriving late to a lecture...this same university does its best to resolve all reports of racism reported to it by students by getting the two sides together to "talk about it" and be friends so that everything remains off the records...

In this country there is one set of standards for whites and another for coloured people...and the problem is not isolated to Oxford...it affects most universities, especially ones outside london...If you are coloured, in the UK, you have to work ten times as hard as a white person to get a tenth of what that white person gets in life.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
Always you find when things like this happen...always, always, always, where the victims are of colour, always the abuser, relatively speaking, gets away with a slap on the wrist...if the abusers on the other hand were coloured then the entire government, the entire country would be out in pitch forks screaming lynch them...

I recently spoke to a black student who was expelled from the university of exeter, this haunt for right wing extremists, for arriving late to a lecture...this same university does its best to resolve all reports of racism reported to it by students by getting the two sides together to "talk about it" and be friends so that everything remains off the records...

In this country there is one set of standards for whites and another for coloured people...and the problem is not isolated to Oxford...it affects most universities, especially ones outside london...If you are coloured, in the UK, you have to work ten times as hard as a white person to get a tenth of what that white person gets in life.

You realise the student is being represented by a QC whose expertise are in Equality and Human Rights Law and the talks are still ongoing.
You realise the student is being represented by a QC whose expertise are in Equality and Human Rights Law and the talks are still ongoing.

He's lucky because he's probably wealthy. Most coloured victims of this type of abuse are not only unable to afford a lawyer, let a lone a Queen's Counsel and even if they were able to afford such representation, they would not be allowed to resort to it in most universities where students are not allowed to bring lawyers into to represent them...and even where they are allowed and these kind of scenarios are rare the university and the union can muster entire teams of lawyers and barristers working for the top law firms in this country to fight back....as in, often you have no option, but to bow your head and accept what they are willing to give you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Pinkisk
He's lucky because he's probably wealthy. Most coloured victims of this type of abuse are not only unable to afford a lawyer, let a lone a Queen's Counsel and even if they were able to afford such representation, they would not be allowed to resort to it in most universities where students are not allowed to bring lawyers into to represent them...and even where they are allowed and these kind of scenarios are rare the university and the union can muster entire teams of lawyers and barristers working for the top law firms in this country to fight back....

She is the Principal of Mansfield College, Oxford. I highly doubt she is asking for a fee.

This is not university dispute, this is an Oxford Union dispute. The university has nothing to do with it.
Original post by IH8Studying
ew that’s why i hate oxford and anyone who likes that uni.

Or maybe your just salty because you don't have the capabilities to get in? If you hate studying I would imagine you would hate Oxford anyway.

Also, read the article, I'm pretty sure it wasnt Oxford uni, but Oxford union

Thats a bit harsh for him putting his book down on a seat.
Who are you talking about?
Do you think they should be jailed?
Reparations like in Versailles?
What is this persons loss?
Original post by 999tigger
Thats a bit harsh for him putting his book down on a seat.
Who are you talking about?
Do you think they should be jailed?
Reparations like in Versailles?
What is this persons loss?

Reparations are a non-factor in most courts in this country. The justice system in the UK is stingy. They have many walls and barriers that not only prevent you from seeking reparations for damages but limiting them so much that you pursuing them often costs more than what you wind up getting...and most of what you do get winds up going in the pockets of your lawyer.

The entire system in this country is designed to save money and prevent people from seeking compensation. Where you do wind up winning compensation its usually so minuscule its a joke...I read a case a few days ago of a racist attack on a man using a deadly weapon (a dog) perpetrated by a woman in London. The man was left with a chunk of meet bitten off his leg..the judgement in this case? I think it was £200 compensation and she was given community service...If you study law and compare cases between coloured people and whites your jaw will drop on the ground....if you are coloured and sneeze funny they will hang you ...if you are white and you commit mass murder (against coloured people) you will often get a slap on the wrist...

In law in liberal democracies there is a principle called ultima ratio (last resort). Harsh punishments like jail are used as a last resort only. This incident does not warrant jail time, but it does warrant individuals being FIRED (not left to resign) from their posts + serious reform. The individuals involved, the security and the individuals that organised this event need to all be either fired or suspended pending investigation into their conduct. Changes need to be made such that this sort of thing never happens again. This would be the ideal reaction to this kind of scenario...but this never ever happens if the perps are white and victims coloured...if the victims are black, coloured etc...the white individuals involved at most are left to resign their posts, which is nothing, before the incident is quickly swept under the carpet and changes put in place to make sure that abuses such as this never wind up in the media again.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Laurence863
Or maybe your just salty because you don't have the capabilities to get in? If you hate studying I would imagine you would hate Oxford anyway.

Also, read the article, I'm pretty sure it wasnt Oxford uni, but Oxford union

you people are so ridiculous... but if that’s what floats your boat then okay go for it

A whiteness course? You sound like a racist.
Reply 194

How?

You sound rather like one of those odious ambulance chaser types with this list of preposterous, and risible, claims.
Original post by Pinkisk
Reparations are a non-factor in most courts in this country. The justice system in the UK is stingy. They have many walls and barriers that not only prevent you from seeking reparations for damages but limiting them so much that you pursuing them often costs more than what you wind up getting...and most of what you do get winds up going in the pockets of your lawyer.

The entire system in this country is designed to save money and prevent people from seeking compensation. Where you do wind up winning compensation its usually so minuscule its a joke...I read a case a few days ago of a racist attack on a man using a deadly weapon (a dog) perpetrated by a woman in London. The man was left with a chunk of meet bitten off his leg..the judgement in this case? I think it was £200 compensation and she was given community service...If you study law and compare cases between coloured people and whites your jaw will drop on the ground....if you are coloured and sneeze funny they will hang you ...if you are white and you commit mass murder (against coloured people) you will often get a slap on the wrist...

In law in liberal democracies there is a principle called ultima ratio (last resort). Harsh punishments like jail are used as a last resort only. This incident does not warrant jail time, but it does warrant individuals being FIRED (not left to resign) from their posts + serious reform. The individuals involved, the security and the individuals that organised this event need to all be either fired or suspended pending investigation into their conduct. Changes need to be made such that this sort of thing never happens again. This would be the ideal reaction to this kind of scenario...but this never ever happens if the perps are white and victims coloured...if the victims are black, coloured etc...the white individuals involved at most are left to resign their posts, which is nothing, before the incident is quickly swept under the carpet and changes put in place to make sure that abuses such as this never wind up in the media again.

I didn’t think ‘coloured people’ was an acceptable term nowadays.
Original post by YaliaV

me neither - the practically equivalent though somehow better "people of colour" seems to be preferred.
Original post by _gcx
me neither - the practically equivalent though somehow better "people of colour" seems to be preferred.

Seems a bit arbitrary. Maybe it makes more sense if you’re American.
Reply 198
Original post by YaliaV

It does rather beg the question what is an acceptable term though as the various iterations seem to fall in and out of favour with alarming regularity
Original post by IH8Studying
you people are so ridiculous... but if that’s what floats your boat then okay go for it

lmao stop being salty haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending