The Student Room Group

How do you motivate yourself to do an all-nighter?

Tips needed, please.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Numb & Dumb
Tips needed, please.

i need advice for this too. Honestly i relate and i have a ton of work to do ahhhh ... good luck
At uni the motivation was that my essay was due the next day. That's all.
caffeine and sheer will power
Original post by tiaindie16
i need advice for this too. Honestly i relate and i have a ton of work to do ahhhh ... good luck

Same. I planned on doing 7 hours of revision today and none of it happened. The only option left (to make sure I don't emotionally abuse myself) is to stay up and repent.
I don't.
I usually make sure I'm on top of my work so I can avoid that.

Buuut if it's absolutely necessary then I make sure I've got coffee in, and some snacks to keep me going. Not sure if you're the type that can study with music but I usually have headphones on too just incase I'm tempted to nod off. I think my main motivation is thinking about how royally screwed Id be if I didn't get the work done.
Original post by mpaprika
caffeine and sheer will power

Keep caffeine intake low because it causes health issues for me.
Same. I planned on doing 7 hours of revision today and none of it happened. The only option left (to make sure I don't emotionally abuse myself) is to stay up and repent.

i needed to do around five hours today and only did 1. We have similar plans for tonight unfortunately haha
I’d first recommend doing your work early enough not to warrant needing to do an all-nighters 😂

However, I’d say you could find motivation by thinking about the end goal of all this hard work... *looks over at framed degree certificate in room*
Original post by tiaindie16
i needed to do around five hours today and only did 1. We have similar plans for tonight unfortunately haha

Sis, it seems we do. Do you want me to hold you accountable? I will check up on you at 5 am. None of my friends do all-nighters so I shall suffer alone. Good luck!
Original post by Precious Illusions
At uni the motivation was that my essay was due the next day. That's all.

Accurate.

Often enough, the determination to get something done keeps me awake tbh, though I should add that sweet treats or some time during that all-nighter to watch something you like keeps me motivated. Still need a little break from all of that, you know :smile:
Tips needed, please.

Lol picture failing and repeating uni ....that's what scares the **** out of me
Red bulls? I am trying to be healthy over here..... lol the irony.... given that I am choosing to do something very unhealthy.

Thanks for the warning, sis!
Sis, it seems we do. Do you want me to hold you accountable? I will check up on you at 5 am. None of my friends do all-nighters so I shall suffer alone. Good luck!

my snapchat is tiajade.3 if you need someone to talk to when times get desperate like this haha
Original post by MidgetFever
I don't.
I usually make sure I'm on top of my work so I can avoid that.

Buuut if it's absolutely necessary then I make sure I've got coffee in, and some snacks to keep me going. Not sure if you're the type that can study with music but I usually have headphones on too just incase I'm tempted to nod off. I think my main motivation is thinking about how royally screwed Id be if I didn't get the work done.

The kind of person I aspire to be.

Yeah, I will get off TSR and get on with it. Thank you for this! I will try and imagine failing my A-levels. :biggrin:
I have come close doing them, but at the last minute I am always tempted by the sight of my bed. I did so many when I was doing GCSEs, not being able to do them now makes me feel so old and weak RIP
The kind of person I aspire to be.

Yeah, I will get off TSR and get on with it. Thank you for this! I will try and imagine failing my A-levels. :biggrin:

:lol:

It's not as good natured as it sounds, I'm just lazy and I like sleep too much.

Good luck though!
100%
Seriously, I waste so much time planning and then when the time comes to put my plan into action, I fail miserably. I have done it so many times, at this point I am sick of my utter lack of discipline. This all-nighter is a punishment LOL let us hope negative reinforcement works.

Tips needed, please.

If you have to ask don’t do it
Original post by Amiimle
If you have to ask don’t do it

Too late, sis. 😭 Thanks though, I know what you suggest is the healthier, more sensible option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending