The Student Room Group

I literally can’t concentrate at all and Im falling behind on everything :(

I have coursework due today and I got done very very little. Basically unfinished, I did do some notes though. Im really really trying to push and my hardest but my brain just…can’t? I pulled allnighters for this coursework, played some music in the background to try to keep me calm, tried to work in a quiet environment without a phone, tried to get my parents help with it but it’s absolutely useless..Im not sure what’s wrong with me, I wanted to contact the doctor but then my mind was too busy trying to figure out what to put on coursework which led me to this..The teachers help on this coursework (History) for A level is not allowed and despite me collecting help sheets I just can’t do it. Even after all those breakdowns and certain attempts.
Original post by Bible_slug
I have coursework due today and I got done very very little. Basically unfinished, I did do some notes though. Im really really trying to push and my hardest but my brain just…can’t? I pulled allnighters for this coursework, played some music in the background to try to keep me calm, tried to work in a quiet environment without a phone, tried to get my parents help with it but it’s absolutely useless..Im not sure what’s wrong with me, I wanted to contact the doctor but then my mind was too busy trying to figure out what to put on coursework which led me to this..The teachers help on this coursework (History) for A level is not allowed and despite me collecting help sheets I just can’t do it. Even after all those breakdowns and certain attempts.

As you pulled all nighters you are probably tired, the human brain does not function well with lack of sleep and besides, you are stressed. Exercise is one of the easiest ways to de-stress - jogging for example. You can also try deep and slow breathing - I use a rhythm of 9 breaths in, hold 1 breath, 9 breaths out and hold 1 breath, but if you are a beginner at this you can start with a 4-1-4-1 count or a 6-1-6-1 whatever is comfortable. I have built a website - blissabli (check it out when you have time) - with relaxation exercises but you could just start with breathing and movement something will improve. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by fluentinmaths
As you pulled all nighters you are probably tired, the human brain does not function well with lack of sleep and besides, you are stressed. Exercise is one of the easiest ways to de-stress - jogging for example. You can also try deep and slow breathing - I use a rhythm of 9 breaths in, hold 1 breath, 9 breaths out and hold 1 breath, but if you are a beginner at this you can start with a 4-1-4-1 count or a 6-1-6-1 whatever is comfortable. I have built a website - blissabli (check it out when you have time) - with relaxation exercises but you could just start with breathing and movement something will improve. Best of luck!

Yeah I haven't exercised much apart from dancing (if that counts?) in awhile so it might do me some good, thank you.

This rhythm breathing helped me calm down just now after a emotional anxiety attack I just had a few minutes ago so thank you a lot, I really appreciate it ^^ Unfortunately though breathing exercises don't work on me well when Im experiencing stress alone but I really do appreciate the help! I'll make sure to take a look to your website to give it a try
dancing definitely counts though might depend on the music (got to think on that). just remembered that also on the site (the 'experience' tab) are some short nature videos - e.g there is one of fish in the ocean and they are amazingly calming. Personally I like the videos with birdsong. That said, got to do the breathing right, its foundational for all the other stuff.. please feel free to ask me questions whenever you want and also feedback on the stuff I created and how its working is always appreciated :smile:
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Bible_slug

Heya!
It sounds like you're really struggling to focus and get the coursework done despite your best efforts :frown: It's important to take regular breaks to avoid burnout and regain your focus. Try taking a 10-15 minute break every hour or so. Also, try breaking it into smaller pieces that are more manageable. Sometimes it can be overwhelming to look at a large project all at once. Perhaps also get a study buddy if it helps. Sometimes working with someone else can help keep you motivated and accountable.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest