The Student Room Group

GCSE choices

Hi, I'm in year eight and we are choosing our GCSEs this year. We haven't been given the forms yet but I'm kinda stressing, so does anyone have any idea what combinations or how many subjects you can choose normally? I know it varies between schools, but it would be much appreciated. The main things at the moment that I want to do are computer science, Spanish and graphics and anything else would fit around that. Thanks!
in my school we pick 4 subjects :smile: alongside the compulsary subjects obviously :tongue:
Original post by Ayyimmanerd
Hi, I'm in year eight and we are choosing our GCSEs this year. We haven't been given the forms yet but I'm kinda stressing, so does anyone have any idea what combinations or how many subjects you can choose normally? I know it varies between schools, but it would be much appreciated. The main things at the moment that I want to do are computer science, Spanish and graphics and anything else would fit around that. Thanks!

Hi, when I chose my GCSEs we had to pick 3 options but now I think they have to choose 4. Spanish is good because it is a language, which is a well respected GCSE. Maybe consider a humanities subject, geography and history are facilitating subjects which means they are really highly looked upon by sixth forms, universities and potential employers. Ask your teachers what they think and maybe talk to some students on the courses you are considering. Good luck :smile:
I’d definitely choose at least one subject that’s more creative, so maybe music, drama, art etc
(edited 4 years ago)

For ur final option, what do you want as a career? This may help you come up with ur choice. Btw, most schools make you pick 4 subjects, with the total with compulsory like Eng + Maths is 10
Reply 5
Original post by emileHeskey_
For ur final option, what do you want as a career? This may help you come up with ur choice. Btw, most schools make you pick 4 subjects, with the total with compulsory like Eng + Maths is 10

I kinda want to go into a more technical/computer-y job, hence cs and maybe graphics, so I think that would help. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what options I have...
I kinda want to go into a more technical/computer-y job, hence cs and maybe graphics, so I think that would help. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what options I have...

Well, technology in the big picture does tie in with a fair bit of science stuff (basically, it helps to be good at it) so maybe think about triple sci if you aren't already taking it and you do well in it.
Reply 7
Original post by emileHeskey_
Well, technology in the big picture does tie in with a fair bit of science stuff (basically, it helps to be good at it) so maybe think about triple sci if you aren't already taking it and you do well in it.

Yeah, that makes sense. I will defo do that if I get the choice. Thanks :smile:
Yeah, that makes sense. I will defo do that if I get the choice. Thanks :smile:

Np glad to help
(edited 4 years ago)
If u like the science route choose : triple science (bio chem phys) geography , health and social care
If you like the business route : business computing computer science IT? DT , product and design, economics
Sports route : health and fitness , sport science , physical education, health and social care
Creative arts : performing arts , drama , art , DT , cooking
Then there is history and religious studies and philosophy and ethics

Depending on the subjects ur skl is doing
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest