The Student Room Group

The Ultimate UCAS Extra Thread 2024

Hi there everyone! :woo:

With only one day to go until UCAS Extra opens for 2024, I wanted to create a space where you can refer to ask questions and also find out the key information regarding UCAS Extra.

So what is it?

UCAS Extra is a complimentary service that enables you to continue applying for higher education courses in the upcoming academic year if you've exhausted all five of your choices and either received no offers or declined all offers. This option is available as long as you've initially applied through UCAS and are not holding any offers or awaiting decisions on your initial five applications.

Key Dates:

UCAS Extra opens on February 28, 2024, for all undergraduate applications.

The closing date for UCAS Extra applications is July 4, 2024. After this date, if you have no offers, you can enter Clearing.

How UCAS Extra Works:

You do not need to submit a separate application for UCAS Extra. If you're eligible, the "Add Extra Choice" button will automatically appear in the Choices section of your UCAS Hub page. However, not all universities or courses participate in Extra. Those that do will be indicated in Course Search with a grey 'X.'

While there's no limit to the number of courses you can apply for through Extra, you can only apply for one at a time. Unlike the initial round of applications, you cannot choose a firm choice and an insurance offer simultaneously.

Your application will be reviewed by the university or college. If you haven't received a response after 21 days, you can decide whether to wait further or introduce a new choice.

Should you reject the offer or not receive a response within 21 days, you have the option to include an alternative choice. Keep in mind that the university or college may take more than 21 days to respond, as they have until midnight on July 12 to finalise their decisions. The decision to wait or substitute them with a different choice is yours to make.

Need more information?
Check out this article on The Uni Guide
Find out more on the UCAS website
Extra FAQ's
Original post by CamembertPaws
Hi there everyone! :woo:
With only one day to go until UCAS Extra opens for 2024, I wanted to create a space where you can refer to ask questions and also find out the key information regarding UCAS Extra.
So what is it?
UCAS Extra is a complimentary service that enables you to continue applying for higher education courses in the upcoming academic year if you've exhausted all five of your choices and either received no offers or declined all offers. This option is available as long as you've initially applied through UCAS and are not holding any offers or awaiting decisions on your initial five applications.
Key Dates:
UCAS Extra opens on February 28, 2024, for all undergraduate applications.
The closing date for UCAS Extra applications is July 4, 2024. After this date, if you have no offers, you can enter Clearing.
How UCAS Extra Works:
You do not need to submit a separate application for UCAS Extra. If you're eligible, the "Add Extra Choice" button will automatically appear in the Choices section of your UCAS Hub page. However, not all universities or courses participate in Extra. Those that do will be indicated in Course Search with a grey 'X.'
While there's no limit to the number of courses you can apply for through Extra, you can only apply for one at a time. Unlike the initial round of applications, you cannot choose a firm choice and an insurance offer simultaneously.
Your application will be reviewed by the university or college. If you haven't received a response after 21 days, you can decide whether to wait further or introduce a new choice.
Should you reject the offer or not receive a response within 21 days, you have the option to include an alternative choice. Keep in mind that the university or college may take more than 21 days to respond, as they have until midnight on July 12 to finalise their decisions. The decision to wait or substitute them with a different choice is yours to make.
Need more information?
Check out this article on The Uni Guide
Find out more on the UCAS website
Extra FAQ's
@phoebeanima this may be helpful!
Reply 2
hello i have a few questions :smile:
i haven't applied to ucas in this cycle yet, and i am currently a first year doing a course that I am unhappy with, at a uni i'm not particularly enjoying. this is why i'd like to apply through ucas extra as i have another course and uni in mind, which currently has vacancies according to the ucas website.
ig this applies to early clearing as well if i choose to apply later since i already have my grades, but would i just need to make another application normally with a personal statement and reference, or is this necessary if the uni is just looking to fill in spaces? and would i still need to state that i'm currently attending my uni, despite me applying to a different course to the one i'm already studying? finally, would i still need to state that i've attended my current uni if i've already withdrawn from it by the time of applying? thank you
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ophixe
hello i have a few questions :smile:
i haven't applied to ucas in this cycle yet, and i am currently a first year doing a course that I am unhappy with, at a uni i'm not particularly enjoying. this is why i'd like to apply through ucas extra as i have another course and uni in mind, which currently has vacancies according to the ucas website.
ig this applies to early clearing as well if i choose to apply later since i already have my grades, but would i just need to make another application normally with a personal statement and reference, or is this necessary if the uni is just looking to fill in spaces? and would i still need to state that i'm currently attending my uni, despite me applying to a different course to the one i'm already studying? finally, would i still need to state that i've attended my current uni if i've already withdrawn from it by the time of applying? thank you
hi im in the exact same position as you and want to change courses even though the equal consideration deadline has passed. I emailed a few unis and they said that I should apply through UCAS so I've sent my application off last week. I asked one of my old teachers for a reference and wrote a new personal statement. Lastly, yes you need to state that you attended your Uni on the education section of your UCAS even if you're withdrawing. feel free to pm me if you have any questions :smile:
i have a question Would i have a chance to transfer to City university from another university in the first week or month of first year? I want to transfer City university for the Economics and Accounting BSc however I achieved a grade 5 in GCSE Maths but they require a 6, however I meet all the A Level requirements. Would it be possible for me to transfer?
Original post by 231Joeee
i have a question Would i have a chance to transfer to City university from another university in the first week or month of first year? I want to transfer City university for the Economics and Accounting BSc however I achieved a grade 5 in GCSE Maths but they require a 6, however I meet all the A Level requirements. Would it be possible for me to transfer?

Did you apply to City? Did you get an offer? If not, what makes you think they would change their mind at the beginning of first year?

GCSE grade requirements tend to be non-negotiable; if that say they want a grade 6 in GCSE Maths, then they're very unlikely to accept candidates with grades below that. Sorry. :frown:
Original post by DataVenia
Did you apply to City? Did you get an offer? If not, what makes you think they would change their mind at the beginning of first year?
GCSE grade requirements tend to be non-negotiable; if that say they want a grade 6 in GCSE Maths, then they're very unlikely to accept candidates with grades below that. Sorry. :frown:

I did not apply to City, however i got an offer to study at sussex similar rank, however i only achieved one grade lower than what was needed which was a grade 5. Would it be possible to transfer even if some students do drop out from that course economics?
I did not apply to City, however i got an offer to study at sussex similar rank, however i only achieved one grade lower than what was needed which was a grade 5. Would it be possible to transfer even if some students do drop out from that course economics?

Almost certainly not. As I said above, "GCSE grade requirements tend to be non-negotiable; if that say they want a grade 6 in GCSE Maths, then they're very unlikely to accept candidates with grades below that."

If the course ends up in Clearing at City, then it would be worth calling and asking the question. However, to formally apply to City via Clearing you'd need to decline your Sussex place.
Original post by DataVenia
Almost certainly not. As I said above, "GCSE grade requirements tend to be non-negotiable; if that say they want a grade 6 in GCSE Maths, then they're very unlikely to accept candidates with grades below that."
If the course ends up in Clearing at City, then it would be worth calling and asking the question. However, to formally apply to City via Clearing you'd need to decline your Sussex place.

I understand but would i even be considered for clearing if i have a grade 5 in gcse maths?
I understand but would i even be considered for clearing if i have a grade 5 in gcse maths?

Probably not. However, if a university is going to reduce their GCSE requirements at any time (which isn't terribly likely anyway), it'd be during Clearing. So if the course is in Clearing you could call them up and ask.
do you know if you can apply for deferred entry in ucas extra? I'm planning to take a gap year, but am unhappy with my current course choices :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending