Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

I am 52 years old and the qualifications I have are CSE’s

Am I still able to get in the course with CSE’s
Original post by Esther King 2

Which course?

You'd need evidence of recent study to be admitted to a degree-level programme, and CSEs aren't necessarily equal to a GCSE pass in maths and English. Only a grade 1 CSE would be equivalent. Did you get that?
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Original post by Esther King 2

Hi Esther,

My apologies for not seeing your post sooner. I am a mature student at ARU and can confirm your CSE's will have been allocated a level of UCAS points which will be needed for your application. You can see here how many points they will receive: https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/2015-uk-qualifications.pdf

The one other thing to bear in mind is that as a mature student you bring something else to the table... life experience. Depending on the course you are looking to study, I would highly recommend having a chat with the admissions team. It may be that after reviewing your career history, the relevant department agrees that you would be an excellent addition to the course and may make an offer... UCAS points are great guidance for how prepared you will be, but if you have been out of study for a long time there are other things to consider. You can contact the admissions team on 01245 686868 (open Monday–Thursday 8.30am–5pm, Friday 8.30am–4.30pm).

The best of luck to you and if you have any other questions, please just ask.

Katrina
Original post by ARUStudents
Hi Esther,

My apologies for not seeing your post sooner. I am a mature student at ARU and can confirm your CSE's will have been allocated a level of UCAS points which will be needed for your application. You can see here how many points they will receive: https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/2015-uk-qualifications.pdf

Are you sure? CSEs were a GCSE equivalent when there were O levels and CSEs (60's, 70's and went out in the 80's sometime. CSEs, while 'equivalent' in terms of when you took them, ie aged 16, were seen as a slightly lower qualification that O levels. Only the top grade of CSE was considered equal to an O level pass, or a GCSE. As they were GCSE equivalents, I don't see how they would carry UCAS points.
Original post by threeportdrift
Are you sure? CSEs were a GCSE equivalent when there were O levels and CSEs (60's, 70's and went out in the 80's sometime. CSEs, while 'equivalent' in terms of when you took them, ie aged 16, were seen as a slightly lower qualification that O levels. Only the top grade of CSE was considered equal to an O level pass, or a GCSE. As they were GCSE equivalents, I don't see how they would carry UCAS points.

I looked and they seemed to be listed in the document I linked to - but maybe it was an alternative and not the exact exams she has taken. It is still always worth calling the admissions team to discuss.

Katrina

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending