The Student Room Group

Independent student


I have had a job since I was 15 (I’m now 21) some part time will a year of full time. I now live in with my boyfriend and his parents and have done for the past year and a half.

Am I able to apply for a loan not based from my parental income?
Hi there. You can apply as an independent student for full funding if you have self-supported yourself for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course. When you are filling in the application there will be a question that asks if you have supported yourself financially for the past 3 years. We accept the following evidence:

-Week 52 payslips
-Month 12 payslips
-Benefit receipt letters
-Statement of earnings from HMRC
-Employer’s letter
-Tax returns if self-employed or accountant’s letter

This evidence can be uploaded to your online account.

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 2
Due to 3 years prior including covid what is the stance on this? Or does this not have to be consecutive?
Reply 3
Furthermore, if unsuccessful can I then apply for a means tested lain based on parental income?
Reply 4
Also what amount is considered self sufficient
It does not have to be consecutive. There is no threshold for self-support, but it is expected that the amount of income you received is sufficient for you to have supported yourself financially and be able to pay rent, bills etc. If you had a low income but were able to support yourself, you should provide evidence of how this was done along with a breakdown of income and expenditure. These will then be reviewed on a case by case basis.

If it's not accepted then we would need your parental income to assess for the higher Maintenance Loan. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply