The Student Room Group

Carbon Cycle

Describe the part played by algae in the carbon cycle. (3 marks)
Ive written about how algae photosynthesises and what it does with the energy then how it removes CO2 from the atmosphere and grows then can be eaten by animals.
I only got 2 marks for what i wrote so i presume i missed something out and some of it may be wrong.
Original post by Jacob Cheadle
Describe the part played by algae in the carbon cycle. (3 marks)
Ive written about how algae photosynthesises and what it does with the energy then how it removes CO2 from the atmosphere and grows then can be eaten by animals.
I only got 2 marks for what i wrote so i presume i missed something out and some of it may be wrong.

Would nice to know what you have written to tell you what you made wrong or you have missed.

It is as follow:

algae used CO2 from the atmosphere to use photosynthesis. At the same time of photosynthesis algae like every green plant drops oxygen to the atmosphere as by-product. During photosynthesis ATP is created. After ATP is created, it is used as energy source to produce glucose. Glucose is the nutrient to let the algae grow. As glucose is also a nutrient for animals, animals are eating the algae to get the nutrients inside. Furthermore they are using the dropped oxygen in atmosphere to breathe. But when the animals die, they are dead organisms which are breaking down by decomposers. These break downs are anorganic and low-energy substances (water and minerals for instance) which can be used by plants like the algaes.

Don't know how precise it has to be for GSCE, but that should close your circle perfectly.
(edited 4 years ago)
thanks this helped a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending