The Student Room Group

Probability of an event

I hate word problems:

here is the question: help please

A bag contains 13 cards 1 through 13. A card is randomly chosen from the bag. What is the probability that the card has a multiple of 3 on it. please put the answer in fraction in the simplest form.

thanks
So, there are 13 cards in the bag. That means every card has a probability of 1/13 of being chosen right. Of these thirteen cards, four of these cards are a multiple of three. 3,6,9 and 12. As such the probability of choosing any of these is (4*(1/13)) or 4/13.

I would like to point out that i hated stats in A-level maths and I haven't done it in close to two years so please check with your tutor or an answer sheet if this is correct or not.
Reply 2
Original post by Charlie101998
So, there are 13 cards in the bag. That means every card has a probability of 1/13 of being chosen right. Of these thirteen cards, four of these cards are a multiple of three. 3,6,9 and 12. As such the probability of choosing any of these is (4*(1/13)) or 4/13.

I would like to point out that i hated stats in A-level maths and I haven't done it in close to two years so please check with your tutor or an answer sheet if this is correct or not.

Thank you Charlie101998, I might have more if you up to it.
Original post by lynndestin

I don't mind helping you out, i wanna go into teaching so it'd be good to sorta get feedback on how i explain stuff too.
Reply 4

The answer is correct. Thank you
I have 3 more to do.

A box is filled with 12 green cards, 2 brown cards, and 2 yellow cards. A card is chosen at random from the box. What is the probability that it is a green or a yellow card?

Write your answer as a fraction in simplest form.
The answer is correct. Thank you
I have 3 more to do.

A box is filled with 12 green cards, 2 brown cards, and 2 yellow cards. A card is chosen at random from the box. What is the probability that it is a green or a yellow card?

Well, this is the same question as before. Not in the wording but in the mathematics behind it. We have a pool of items and we need to chose one randomly. So apply the same thing i did in the previous answer to this one. Before i do tell you the answer, i truly believe you should attempt it first. You learn through failing and finding out which part you cant do. If you still stuck ill gladly help.
Reply 6
Original post by Charlie101998
I don't mind helping you out, i wanna go into teaching so it'd be good to sorta get feedback on how i explain stuff too.

Great, thank you. Here is the next question

Great, thank you. Here is the next question

Have you been able to come up with an answer?

Quick Reply

Latest