The Student Room Group

Keep getting rejected from my dream jobs

I feel kinda hopeless rn, I am so so so interested in working in the events industry but I keep getting rejected or straight up ignored.

I'm literally studying a hospitality degree which is a waste of money but I'm just so interested in hospitality and events, but EVERY single job I apply for they don't want me.

I applied to work at a really big event this week (Soccer Aid), it didn't say you needed experience, just to be professional etc. and film some stuff. I know that probably 100s of people applied but I have so much experience in customer service, hospitality, and social media, and I have non-professional experience in events e.g., in sixth form/school, but I got completely ignored. I was completely available for all the dates and had no problem getting to the event locations.. I had all the relevant skills that they were asking for and more.

I'm seeing all the social media posts from the event and they hired SO many people, and all they're doing is filming stuff. I bet people just randomly applied because they wanted to meet celebrities, whereas I wanted to work at a big event and get experience in something I'm so passionate in. What is the point if they're just gonna pick and choose every other person instead of hiring people with experience?

This always happens to me, I've applied to work at concerts, festivals, Summertime/Jingle Bell ball, EVERYTHING. I GET NOTHING.

I feel like just dropping out, it's a waste of money. I thought studying a degree in the industry I'm trying to be in would help me get experience. Obviously not. They just hire randoms.
Reply 1
And before anyone says oh maybe they hired someone with events experience, that's not it because they didn't ask for 'professional' events experience - I have worked at similar events before and had EVERY SINGLE skill they wanted on the job listing. I have been around celebs as well a lot , I just KNOW the majority of people applied just so they can say they met celebrities and fangirl >:-(
Reply 2
Have you asked for feedback on why you were unsuccessful?
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Have you asked for feedback on why you were unsuccessful?

PRSOM
I got rejected for a job in the Civil Service at the second stage which was a drafting exercise and I got rejected before for another job at the second stage for a drafting exercise, but I'm still at university so I don't care right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending