The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Trevs 2023 offer holders

Hello. I’m heading to Trevs and chuffed. Any other Trevs here? And what are you studying?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I’m actually a current Trevs student (who will be frepping this year). If anybody has any questions please do ask and I’ll try my best to answer :smile: Looking forward to freshers week and hope you all have a great time!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
bit quiet here...:vroam:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’m actually a current Trevs student (who will be frepping this year). If anybody has any questions please do ask and I’ll try my best to answer :smile: Looking forward to freshers week and hope you all have a great time!

hi, i was allocated a shared room the other day and i'm really nervous about it, i'm sure my roommate will be lovely but that's not my concern with sharing- i need to have my own space sometimes as i get exhausted when around people too much. i'm also not considering emailing to change my room, as i know i'll probably be put in the other accom building. do you have any experience of people having shared rooms, and do u know what the rooms are like? i've heard there are some newly refurbished rooms with small dividing walls, which would be perfect - how many of these are there? don't worry about answering all my questions haha, i'm just happy there's some current trevs students on here to answer questions :smile:
hi, i was allocated a shared room the other day and i'm really nervous about it, i'm sure my roommate will be lovely but that's not my concern with sharing- i need to have my own space sometimes as i get exhausted when around people too much. i'm also not considering emailing to change my room, as i know i'll probably be put in the other accom building. do you have any experience of people having shared rooms, and do u know what the rooms are like? i've heard there are some newly refurbished rooms with small dividing walls, which would be perfect - how many of these are there? don't worry about answering all my questions haha, i'm just happy there's some current trevs students on here to answer questions :smile:

I’m not too sure about the layout of shared rooms as I haven’t been in any and our rooms are really variable across college but I do know many people who enjoyed sharing and are good friends with the people they shared with. I have a friend who struggled with sharing and was able to be moved (but to Teikyo), rooms in college do start to become available, particularly towards the end of first term as people decide that Uni isn’t for them so if you struggle this should be an option. Have you heard of anyone being allocated to Teikyo/Shoichi halls as I’m not actually sure whether it is in use by Trevs students this year. If you feel that sharing will make you struggle with uni please do email to try and get it changed (or to see if you can be prioritised if rooms do become available) and specify why you will struggle with sharing a room. Is there any particular reason you do not want to be in the other building if it’s still being used?
Reply 5

Hi my son shared a room this last yr. He was in H block and they are refurbished have the small dividing wall, they work really well as the beds are back to back either side of the wall. My son was nervous about sharing as he is very quiet and gets anxious, but honestly it was Brilliant for him. His roommate helped to bring him out of his shell, and he has really flourished. You have a ready made buddy and someone to go to meals and events with. He wouldn't have Been out making snowmen at 3am this last winter had he not been sharing a room I am sure!!! He initially thought It would be for just 1 term, but it ended up being the whole yr. He is sharing a house next yr with his room mate , so it obviously worked out!.

Im looking at the induction calender and compared to other colleges, it doesn't look like there are a lot of fun activities, just a formal, where other colleges have toastie nights, bar nights and music nights... Are their plans to introduce more events?
Im looking at the induction calender and compared to other colleges, it doesn't look like there are a lot of fun activities, just a formal, where other colleges have toastie nights, bar nights and music nights... Are their plans to introduce more events?

I’m not sure yet what other events we have planned (but I know that all the freps have been suggesting events) but last year our events went onto the planner a lot later than many colleges so hopefully they’ll be uploaded at some point soon. I have had a look and it seems the events on the planner so far are the ones that college are responsible for rather than the frep team :smile:
Great!
Reply 9
Hey everyone, I was just reallocated here from Cuth’s. Gotta say, I’m incredibly happy with this turn of events! The small, tight-knit and “artsy” vibe of the college really appeals to me :smile:. Can’t wait till term start!

So, I’m not the type who likes to go out most nights, and while I am looking forward to trying a bunch of new things on freshers week, I was wondering if there were any “low-key” and chill events planned as well? I might need them to recharge my social battery haha.

P.S. any other chemists here?
Original post by Horizoon
Hey everyone, I was just reallocated here from Cuth’s. Gotta say, I’m incredibly happy with this turn of events! The small, tight-knit and “artsy” vibe of the college really appeals to me :smile:. Can’t wait till term start!

So, I’m not the type who likes to go out most nights, and while I am looking forward to trying a bunch of new things on freshers week, I was wondering if there were any “low-key” and chill events planned as well? I might need them to recharge my social battery haha.

P.S. any other chemists here?

Last year we had some great alternative options for those who weren’t keen on going out and things (such as board games, movie night etc.). We had a couple bar nights as well which are great if you are not keen on going out but still want to be social in that way as it’s really easy to go back to your room if you need a break.
Whilst I’m not yet sure what events we have planned, hopefully there should be many you enjoy!
Original post by ajl1972
Hi my son shared a room this last yr. He was in H block and they are refurbished have the small dividing wall, they work really well as the beds are back to back either side of the wall. My son was nervous about sharing as he is very quiet and gets anxious, but honestly it was Brilliant for him. His roommate helped to bring him out of his shell, and he has really flourished. You have a ready made buddy and someone to go to meals and events with. He wouldn't have Been out making snowmen at 3am this last winter had he not been sharing a room I am sure!!! He initially thought It would be for just 1 term, but it ended up being the whole yr. He is sharing a house next yr with his room mate , so it obviously worked out!.

thank you, I've been in contact with my roommate now and we seem to get on really well, so I'm not as worried anymore! Do you know if the bathroom is shared just between the 2 sharing or with the rest of the landing too?
thank you, I've been in contact with my roommate now and we seem to get on really well, so I'm not as worried anymore! Do you know if the bathroom is shared just between the 2 sharing or with the rest of the landing too?

It will be between the rest of the landing, either 1 toilet and shower between 6 or two toilets and two showers between 12. The toilet and shower are in separate rooms.
Reply 13

The shower room and seperate toilet were shared between 6 , the 2 people in the shared room and 4 single rooms. He said he never had to wait for a shower, and on the odd occasions the toilet was busy he just walked to the next landing.
Just waiting for room allocation but would like to get excited about what stuff to take. Is there like a small shared kitchen for coffees and stuff? Also, are all beds single in size or are any double / small double? Thanks everyone 😊
Reply 15
Just waiting for room allocation but would like to get excited about what stuff to take. Is there like a small shared kitchen for coffees and stuff? Also, are all beds single in size or are any double / small double? Thanks everyone 😊

My sons room was a standard single. I think they are all the same. There was a small kitchen between my sons landing and the one next door, it was fully equipped with a proper oven with hob, microwave, kettle and toaster, and was a decent size.

I think all beds are single as has already been said. This year I had a small pantry which only had a kettle, sink, fridge (no freezer) and microwave so it does depend on what kitchen facilities you get what you have access to. I made a friend who had an oven in their kitchen so would use that if need be.
As far as I’m aware, it’s prohibited to add any kitchen appliances to the pantry and your room so if you were thinking about a coffee machine or anything this is not possible (I just about coped with the Nescafé instant sachets this year instead of good machine made coffee). Good news is is the dining hall has a great coffee machine!
Hi - please can any existing Trevs students help? I'm wondering if I can bring storage boxes for under the bed and if so what size/height, or is there built in under-bed storage? Also is it worth getting the Platinum Pass? Thanks so much!
The storage boxes will depend on what room you are in as some of the newer rooms have different beds where you lift up the mattress to get underneath, the older rooms tend to have these weird lock boxes under part of the bed which are a pain to get out but also take up a lot of space. I ended up putting stuff under in bags as they squish and are easier. I’d say if you want storage boxes it’s better to wait and order some (Amazon prime them) to fit under the bed that you get. I got the platinum pass last year, it’s definitely worth it if you know that you want to attend all the events that are included in the price (I’ve not looked at this years figures but you do get savings), and it’s also nice to not have to buy tickets at the time of the event. However if there are any events that you are thinking you wouldn’t want to go to, at that point it probably doesn’t become worth it.
(Original post by PenguinSp4rkles)The storage boxes will depend on what room you are in as some of the newer rooms have different beds where you lift up the mattress to get underneath, the older rooms tend to have these weird lock boxes under part of the bed which are a pain to get out but also take up a lot of space. I ended up putting stuff under in bags as they squish and are easier. I’d say if you want storage boxes it’s better to wait and order some (Amazon prime them) to fit under the bed that you get. I got the platinum pass last year, it’s definitely worth it if you know that you want to attend all the events that are included in the price (I’ve not looked at this years figures but you do get savings), and it’s also nice to not have to buy tickets at the time of the event. However if there are any events that you are thinking you wouldn’t want to go to, at that point it probably doesn’t become worth it.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest