The Student Room Group

Anxiety

I have a work drinks event coming up and I don't really want to go.
My colleagues and I won't be travelling together to the venue, so would probably see them when I get there.

I feel anxious of the thought of going somewhere and not seeing someone I know. I don't like the thought of being alone...and waiting for people to arrive.

If I don't go, then people would be questioning why I didn't go.

I really want to go

Any advice?

Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous #1
My colleagues and I won't be travelling together to the venue, so would probably see them when I get there.

I feel anxious of the thought of going somewhere and not seeing someone I know. I don't like the thought of being alone...and waiting for people to arrive.

I really want to go

Any advice?

Any advice?

I really want to go

Are these not contradictory statements? Anyway if you do decide to go but afraid of being the first person, you could just arrive a few minutes late and say you went the wrong way or a harmless lie like that.

I really want to go

Any advice?

Any advice?
Honestly, I would say go and be brave! If you keep upholding the standards of anxiety, this trouble will keep building up, and you'll face these worries throughout your life. I used to have massive anxiety when speaking with people, but I started being brave and tried to communicate - and it worked! Now, I'm probably the most extroverted person you'll ever meet!

Moreover, I know you can do it! I know you're strong and independent - don't give in to anxiety!

I really want to go

Any advice?

Any advice?

How long is it until the big event?

If you get the chance, I would strongly recommend you buy and read the book Feel the fear, and do it anyway by Susan Jeffers. It really helps getting these kind of things in perspective, and it'll sort your head out moving forward if you suffer from chronic anxiety.

Apart from that... what's the worst that's going to happen if you go? No, let me rephrase that, how many times have you catastrophised something and it's actually been as bad as you feared? I'll bet it's never happened, or maybe only once at best. Even if you made a t*t of yourself, chances are people will all be too drunk to remember it lol.
Original post by Anonymous #2

I really want to go

Are these not contradictory statements? Anyway if you do decide to go but afraid of being the first person, you could just arrive a few minutes late and say you went the wrong way or a harmless lie like that.
I think deep down they want to go, but social anxiety is getting the better of them.
I'd say turn up a little late, maybe 5 minutes. It's a social gathering so it'll be okay and you'll regret not going. Anxiety can make you overthink situations completely. Don't let it have any power of you. I know you'll be just fine and your colleagues will want you to be there too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending